Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: NEEDED: derelict/salvage 58' YF or 53' MY for parts

I am just curious about adding overall weight up on the flybridge either by extending it and or adding extra furniture, tenders etc....

There is a center of gravity designed in boats after which they become top heavy thus changing the motion and ultimate stability of the vessel. Look at all of those Carvers....

Jonathan Brein

normally there is a Whaler up there, and I'm gathering what he means is that it would be a nice place to set up chairs for lounging that would not ordinarily be up there. Your point is well taken, but one way you could get around that issue would be using an inflatable vs whaler.

Quote Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
    Ok....

After getting a $47, 527.00 estimate to extend our aft deck rooftop 4', I took some measurements and realized that I can cut our rooftop at about 4 feet and just before the radius and attach the transplanted (medical speak for Jim) rooftop to get the extra 4' I wanted. Trust me, it will be done and it will be done correctly and look great....
    How will you graft the pieces together to make it both sturdy and look nice from above and below?
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Scarf joint, probably, with some FRP splints inside it for some additional rigidity, and then resurface the outside. He'll have to blend the paint or paint what you see, but that's not difficult.

Actually the new part wouldn't even have to be from a Hatteras. It could be from any boat where they used compatible materials, but I think he's on the right track with a part from a Hatteras, because he'll know that all the construction materials are the same or similar.

I'd cut the back off. Position it where you want and build a new piece with structural fiberglass staff and Coosa board. Makes for a better finished product and can't rot.

The weight will be an issue as will the additional structure and support systems. What about the davit? Will it move?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Scarf joint, probably, with some FRP splints inside it for some additional rigidity, and then resurface the outside. He'll have to blend the paint or paint what you see, but that's not difficult.

Actually the new part wouldn't even have to be from a Hatteras. It could be from any boat where they used compatible materials, but I think he's on the right track with a part from a Hatteras, because he'll know that all the construction materials are the same or similar.
    Jim, you are correct with the construction. It will be attached correctly. As far as CG and weight, there will only be some light patio furniture up there. . The long term idea is to enclose the aft deck. Having the stretched rooftop makes the enclosure much easier. As an added benefit of the enclosure, the window frame structure adds to the overall strength and rigidity of the rooftop.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by MarioG View Post
    The roof extension will cover about 3' of the cockpit because the current rooftop ends just fwd of the cockpit. Yes it will be nice having more room up top. In fact, I plan to make the top a nice lounge when the dinghy is down.
    So you want a flybridge deck like mine, eh?
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    So you want a flybridge deck like mine, eh?
    Yep..... and you know that your cuban brother can pull it off! Lol
    Mario
    Siboney

Ha! Sensing some lighthearted competition amongst the MIA crew. Mario, I have pics of my enclosed "back porch" on my profile page in the album and can take more if it would help you get a sense for how you may like it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Ha! Sensing some lighthearted competition amongst the MIA crew. Mario, I have pics of my enclosed "back porch" on my profile page in the album and can take more if it would help you get a sense for how you may like it.
    yes please! Thank you!

My email is mysiboney@yahoo.com
    Mario
    Siboney