Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Re: 1987 45 Convertible - Anyone know her?

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Where do you run your charters from, and did you say you currently use a CC Boat?
    Glad to you your doing something you love.
    I've thought about, "Thought About" when my kids are older and I'm retired moving my boat to the Keys and chartering just for fun. Or if I kept it in Fort Lauderdale is try to book 3-4 Day Bimini or Chub Charters.

In my earlier years I worked as a fill in Captain or Mate on a few charter boats in Fort Lauderdale. It would be a tough life if you had to do it every day to make your bills. But if you didn't need the money and could pick and choose which charters you wanted to do and when you wanted to do them then that would be great.

For me if I'm retired it would be a great excuse to go fishing more often without the wife thinking I'm trying to stay away from her. Not to mention it would help offset some of my expenses along with giving me someone to fish with. It's funny how sometimes it's actually hard to find people to go all the time because of day to day life gets in the way. Can't think of to many worse ways to spend retirement then hanging out on the boat in the Bahamas or Keys talking about fishing everyday.

Anyway like I asked above I was just wondering where your fishing out of and if you have any info or websites to check out that would be cool also.

Thanks

Tony
    First off Tony, your mind is exactly where it needs to be with everything you said.

1) It is a hard life if you are needing the income

2) Gives you an excuse to go fishing and the wife not thinking you are choosing the rod over her

3) The money offsets the cost of ownership. Not going to get rich.

I run charters out of Pompano Beach and Boca. 80% of my charters are out of Boca Raton as the fishing is much better North of Boca.

The only time I run out of Pompano (Hillsborough) is when we are Swordfishing. We fish South so it makes the most sense to run out of there.

I have been running all my charters on our Contender. We have found this to be one of the best platforms for a few reasons.

1) We live bait fish / kite fish (2 kites / 3 baits per kite on downwind side and 2 flat, 1 mid and 1 bottom on upwind)

2) Bottom fish (again 34 feet of fishing space on one side of the boat easily giving 6 people with lines in plenty of room)

3) Run and gun the mats during the summer

4) Run to and from the sword grounds

Most charter boats (and there is nothing wrong with this because it is all about the bottom dollar) are just going to hit the second or third reef and troll hoos and strips. They do this because 1) it is cheap 2) they are catching bait for the next charter 3) moving around keeps the momentum of the charter up and customers don't get board if your not on fish. Again, I am not in the business for the money. I am in it for similar reasons that you mentioned above. My clients pay more for a charter because 1) we are primarily live bait fishing 2) I run private charters 3)all my equipment is brand new every year 4) I specialize my trip to the clients needs/wants. Most of the time I can be found with 3-5 dozen gogs and 4-5 dozen pilchards on the boat. We are a high end sportfishing charter. We also do swordfishing charters. You wont find the average charter boat doing these due to the equipment required (we are using LP S-1200 4500 dollar reels), ducers that can read bottom in 1800 ft accurately, gas prices and level of skill required. When you are charging 1500 for a swordfish charter you better know what the hell you are doing.

I do have a website: www.bigtimeoutdoors.com
    Last edited by DealMan; 02-27-2016 at 08:55 PM.

DealMan, great reply, thanks. I took a quick look at the website on my phone. It's looks pretty good and informative, I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow. From what you've been using a 45 ft convertible will be much more comfortable, and roomy in every aspect. People can get out of the weather, stay dry on a rough day, and you'll be able to store a lot more gear. The problems or should I say differences your going to encounter from your operation now that I can see are this.

1. Whoever is running the boat is Out of the Fushing equation. Where on your Comtender they're surrounded by it.

2. The Run and Gun won't be as easy and quick on a typical day with a bigger boat compared to the CC.
    3. Drift fishing with kites or for swords will be more comfortable on the big boat. It doesn't bob around from the smaller wave chop like a smaller boat, sits more stable and heavy in the water.
    4 looks like you launch from where you'll be fishing for a lesser distance to run. Unfortunately you can't do that anymore. Lol. I will I could tie ours on land to the keys rather the run it down there. Be a lot cheaper.
    Anyway for fishing in comfort the convertible is definitely the way to go but for a bunch of hard core fish guys CC are easy to maintain, move around to different locations and much faster as well.

For my family we cruise and fun fish so the convertible is the way I'd go any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

My boat sits in Lauderdale I don't know if you've been out on a 45 but if you'd like to PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    DealMan, great reply, thanks. I took a quick look at the website on my phone. It's looks pretty good and informative, I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow. From what you've been using a 45 ft convertible will be much more comfortable, and roomy in every aspect. People can get out of the weather, stay dry on a rough day, and you'll be able to store a lot more gear. The problems or should I say differences your going to encounter from your operation now that I can see are this.

1. Whoever is running the boat is Out of the Fushing equation. Where on your Comtender they're surrounded by it.

2. The Run and Gun won't be as easy and quick on a typical day with a bigger boat compared to the CC.
    3. Drift fishing with kites or for swords will be more comfortable on the big boat. It doesn't bob around from the smaller wave chop like a smaller boat, sits more stable and heavy in the water.
    4 looks like you launch from where you'll be fishing for a lesser distance to run. Unfortunately you can't do that anymore. Lol. I will I could tie ours on land to the keys rather the run it down there. Be a lot cheaper.
    Anyway for fishing in comfort the convertible is definitely the way to go but for a bunch of hard core fish guys CC are easy to maintain, move around to different locations and much faster as well.

For my family we cruise and fun fish so the convertible is the way I'd go any day of the week and twice on Sunday's.

My boat sits in Lauderdale I don't know if you've been out on a 45 but if you'd like to PM me.
    Definitely take a closer look on a desktop application. The mobile (responsive) site is decent but the full blown desktop is pretty awesome. I am a self taught web designer / SEO-SEM guy.

With that said your bullet points again align with what I am thinking as well. Again, I am not in it for the money so when the weather looks sour I usually contact my customers and tell them its doable but going to be rough. I don't like getting beat up and I think with the bigger boat and the offering of protection I can say "Yes" to more "No" days.

There is a 45c on yachtworld with m11 cummins repower. Why are you not considering this boat?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Which one is it?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Which one is it?
    Exactly.

Do you mean "Oak Leaf"? I think he has looked at her.

Based on the photos, description, and price, I would think she bears closer inspection, but I haven't seen the boat, nor do I know her.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Do you mean "Oak Leaf"? I think he has looked at her.

Based on the photos, description, and price, I would think she bears closer inspection, but I haven't seen the boat, nor do I know her.
    I believe it's the one in MD.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I believe it's the one in MD.
    Jolly Mon?

My main concern is the amount of hours on her. Think it is around 3k.
    Last edited by DealMan; 02-28-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DealMan View Post
    Jolly Mon?

My main concern is the amount of hours on her. Think it is around 3k.
    I don't know anything about the boat but 3K hours is nothing for QSM11s particularly at that rating. If I remember correctly they're only 535hp. They should run forever. If a refit 46C would do, check this one out. Price is high but they spent around 750k in the refit and not that long ago
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1982...s#.VtMnGUU8LCQ
    Jack Sardina