Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Re: 1987 45 Convertible - Anyone know her?

If you like the boat, b4 you repower, make real sure you really have a problem with the engines. On my 43C with 435hp 6v92ta's they told me the same thing during the engine survey. One cyl "appeared" to have antifreeze past the o-rings on one cyl. We replaced that cyl and have put 2500 hard hours on it in the 13 seasons since then. I think that long term lack of use caused the o-rings to let a little bit by.

Just saying don't spend big bucks until you are certain.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    If you like the boat, b4 you repower, make real sure you really have a problem with the engines. On my 43C with 435hp 6v92ta's they told me the same thing during the engine survey. One cyl "appeared" to have antifreeze past the o-rings on one cyl. We replaced that cyl and have put 2500 hard hours on it in the 13 seasons since then. I think that long term lack of use caused the o-rings to let a little bit by.

I understand what you are saying. I just want to look at my worst case scenario so that at the end of the day if I am up the creek I already have a plan of attack. My first plan would be to attempt to see if we could repair the motor and then see how long of a life we could get out of her. Obviously using what we have already would be the ticket. I am just looking long term here or possibly short term. The boat is going to be sold as is and any offer will be considered an as is offer so I just want to ensure that I know what I am getting into here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post

Yeah Bob but he's going to make the big $$$ in the charter biz!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by DealMan View Post
    The remans he states where around 100k just for the motors. Put another 25k+ for misc install items. Don't think I am going to want to drop that much coin in her.
    Im not sure exactly but last I heard I thought they were around 60K for remans and about 120K for a complete new pair with gears. Contact a Cummins dealer for accurate numbers. Installation cost will depend on how much you decide to do while in there. You could do it for 10K but I'd figure 40K for a reasonable amount of upgrades. If you can DIY much of the work, you'll save a ton. When I repowered my 46C I did most of the ER work and the yard did the removal and install of the engines and exhaust.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Yeah Bob but he's going to make the big $$$ in the charter biz!
    I'm not delusional about the charter business. I have an established business now. It's not a dream. We labor for love not money.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Im not sure exactly but last I heard I thought they were around 60K for remans and about 120K for a complete new pair with gears. Contact a Cummins dealer for accurate numbers. Installation cost will depend on how much you decide to do while in there. You could do it for 10K but I'd figure 40K for a reasonable amount of upgrades. If you can DIY much of the work, you'll save a ton. When I repowered my 46C I did most of the ER work and the yard did the removal and install of the engines and exhaust.
    I grew up around the water as I was born and raised in South Florida. When I turned 18 I joined the Corps and spent a decade in the service. During that time I didn't have the resources to purchase a boat and fish due to the storage costs and the logistics of having to deal with it during deployments. Long story short, during that time I restored two Chevlles and built 3 race cares. Two of which produced more then 1000whp. I am not scared of dirt, grease, busting nuckles or long hours. Never worked on a diesel before nor something that requires you to pay big money to "test" your work (hauling fees). That would be the only thing that would scare me but I think this may be a possibility.

One of our forum members here grew up working on cars, and then built drag motors for Racing Head Service in Memphis. He taught himself to work on diesels. I think he kind of underestimates his own skill for this- but they are just engines like all of them and a careful mechanic with the manuals and the right tools can do a lot of this work. The size and weight can be a problem, but there are tools for that, too. It will be interesting to see what you end up with.

I spent 20 years in the auto business, and was a bit intimidated by diesels. After spending many hours on them , I can truthfully say they are simpler than gas engines. Just a whole lot heavier.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    I spent 20 years in the auto business, and was a bit intimidated by diesels. After spending many hours on them , I can truthfully say they are simpler than gas engines. Just a whole lot heavier.

This is good to hear. I have all my shop tools still so I don't think I will have too much more of an issue other than a steep learning curve. Armed with a shop manual and this forum what could go wrong? lol

Where do you run your charters from, and did you say you currently use a CC Boat?
    Glad to you your doing something you love.
    I've thought about, "Thought About" when my kids are older and I'm retired moving my boat to the Keys and chartering just for fun. Or if I kept it in Fort Lauderdale is try to book 3-4 Day Bimini or Chub Charters.

In my earlier years I worked as a fill in Captain or Mate on a few charter boats in Fort Lauderdale. It would be a tough life if you had to do it every day to make your bills. But if you didn't need the money and could pick and choose which charters you wanted to do and when you wanted to do them then that would be great.

For me if I'm retired it would be a great excuse to go fishing more often without the wife thinking I'm trying to stay away from her. Not to mention it would help offset some of my expenses along with giving me someone to fish with. It's funny how sometimes it's actually hard to find people to go all the time because of day to day life gets in the way. Can't think of to many worse ways to spend retirement then hanging out on the boat in the Bahamas or Keys talking about fishing everyday.

Anyway like I asked above I was just wondering where your fishing out of and if you have any info or websites to check out that would be cool also.

Thanks

Tony