Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: 1987 45 Convertible - Anyone know her?

In the last 2 years 10 Hatteras 45 Convertibles Sold

YEAR ASK SOLD
    1990 149 110
    1987 159 152 Cummins Powered
    1985 119 80
    1985 50 40
    1986 149 135
    1986 139,900 133,700
    1985 95 54
    1984 299 260 California CATS and REFIT
    1984 147 120
    1990 299 210 Cummins Powered

As rsmith Mentioned, not to piss anyone off here,,, Lol. not sure who you maybe thinking of but just because I own a 45 you don't ever have to worry about hurting my feelings, I'm a realist and realize no boat is perfect and every one is a trade off with good and bad.

I'm sure opinions vary on the ride when compared to the Old 45 and 46. That being said it's a good ride compared to anything else from any other Brand in it's class. I can't speak for the Old 45 but I can for the 46. The 46 is a good riding, good see boat as well,,,, better??? Yah,,, Maybe depending on the day. If it is better though, it's a negligible difference.

But in my opinion where the 45 is Much Better then the 46 is the Cockpit Size. The 45 Cockpit is I bet close to 2 feet longer then the 46. If a 46 has a full tackle center,,, it's a squeeze between it and the chair. So for me the cockpit is a much more important difference in the 45 over the 46 as compared to ride difference if any. Don't get me wrong the 46 is a great riding boat, but so is the 45 and if there is a difference it's not as noticeable as a difference in cockpit dimensions.

Also as a repower candidate the 45 is better then the standard 46 because if you up the speeds with bigger power on the 46 you'll have to cut the keel down or the boat will keel walk and layover on it's side a bit. That's why on the 46HP's with bigger motors that was one of the mods Hatteras had to do was cut the keel a little.

Either way their both good boats, ride, maybe slightly better on the 46 but ahhhh,, not real sure but, definitely the cockpit on the 45 is much much better. If I was cruising either would be fine, but as a charter boat the 45 is better as far as cockpit size goes. Hatteras states 125 Sq Ft for the 46 and 135 Sq Ft for the 45 but if feels much longer then 10 square feet.

In your search I would stay 1989 or newer unless it's a Palm Beach Edition that way you have two heads. One for you and the wife,,,one for the Charter Guests. Plus the 1989 and newer has a nice Island Queen in the Master.

Tony
    Last edited by capttonyf; 02-26-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    In the last 2 years 10 Hatteras 45 Convertibles Sold

YEAR ASK SOLD
    1990 149 110
    1987 159 152 Cummins Powered
    1985 119 80
    1985 50 40
    1986 149 135
    1986 139,900 133,700
    1985 95 54
    1984 299 260 California CATS and REFIT
    1984 147 120
    1990 299 210 Cummins Powered

As rsmith Mentioned, not to piss anyone off here,,, Lol. not sure who you maybe thinking of but just because I own a 45 you don't ever have to worry about hurting my feelings, I'm a realist and realize no boat is perfect and every one is a trade off with good and bad.

I'm sure opinions vary on the ride when compared to the Old 45 and 46. That being said it's a good ride compared to anything else from any other Brand in it's class. I can't speak for the Old 45 but I can for the 46. The 46 is a good riding, good see boat as well,,,, better??? Yah,,, Maybe depending on the day. If it is better though, it's a negligible difference.

But in my opinion where the 45 is Much Better then the 46 is the Cockpit Size. The 45 Cockpit is I bet close to 2 feet longer then the 46. If a 46 has a full tackle center,,, it's a squeeze between it and the chair. So for me the cockpit is a much more important difference in the 45 over the 46 as compared to ride difference if any. Don't get me wrong the 46 is a great riding boat, but so is the 45 and if there is a difference it's not as noticeable as a difference in cockpit dimensions.

Also as a repower candidate the 45 is better then the standard 46 because if you up the speeds with bigger power on the 46 you'll have to cut the keel down or the boat will keel walk and layover on it's side a bit. That's why on the 46HP's with bigger motors that was one of the mods Hatteras had to do was cut the keel a little.

Either way their both good boats, ride, maybe slightly better on the 46 but ahhhh,, not real sure but, definitely the cockpit on the 45 is much much better. If I was cruising either would be fine, but as a charter boat the 45 is better as far as cockpit size goes. Hatteras states 125 Sq Ft for the 46 and 135 Sq Ft for the 45 but if feels much longer then 10 square feet.

In your search I would stay 1989 or newer unless it's a Palm Beach Edition that way you have two heads. One for you and the wife,,,one for the Charter Guests. Plus the 1989 and newer has a nice Island Queen in the Master.

Tony
    Where was this information pulled from the sales? The forum? or...

Quote Originally Posted by DealMan View Post
    Where was this information pulled from the sales? The forum? or...
    Sold Boats: It's part of the Brokers Login side of yachtworld, and also yatco.com It's not public record like real estate and relies upon the broker entering the information correctly but it's pretty close. I seldom find error from what I've heard from others but it does happen. I posted it just as a little guide to help you.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    Sold Boats: It's part of the Brokers Login side of yachtworld, and also yatco.com It's not public record like real estate and relies upon the broker entering the information correctly but it's pretty close. I seldom find error from what I've heard from others but it does happen. I posted it just as a little guide to help you.

Tony
    I really appreciate that.

Good info in this thread from good sources. You'll get to know who's who here after a while. Members here shy away advertising what they do or from soliciting business as we are an owners forum. There are many here who are in the business and offer good info and advice. I'd agree that that's a bit high for that boat. If she had a queen, fresh rebuilds and the updated profile them yes if she's clean. I've seen some decent 52Cs sell for that money. I do think sales numbers have gotten a bit stronger but that's typically for the good ones.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Good info in this thread from good sources. You'll get to know who's who here after a while. Members here shy away advertising what they do or from soliciting business as we are an owners forum. There are many here who are in the business and offer good info and advice. I'd agree that that's a bit high for that boat. If she had a queen, fresh rebuilds and the updated profile them yes if she's clean. I've seen some decent 52Cs sell for that money. I do think sales numbers have gotten a bit stronger but that's typically for the good ones.
    Thank you for your help. I decided to pass on the vessel. I have another boat in my sights. Will post more when I get some information.

Again I really appreciate all your guys' help and support. It definitely truly is a different world. I would assume it is a more refined crowd here then the typical boating forum with 18-25 year old punks with daddy's money and know it all attitudes roaming. Everything I have been told is helpful and is guiding me to a solid purchase.

I think that most of us are the daddies, and have enough sense to make our kids earn their own $$ for toys.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Boat Hunting

Got a hot lead. Nice boat that a dealer just took on trade. It is the newest one that I have looked at being a 91 with 6V92TA 535hp. There was trace amounts of glycol in the port motor so the mech went out there and said the engine is toast. I can probably get the boat for a good deal with this new turn of events. Mech said that it was just due to piss poor maintenance after the rebuild. Regardless, I would like to look at the possibility of a repower. This would give me motors with a couple year warranty (seeing 2 year 2000hr). Anway, what would be good motors to replace with. Yes, I already looked at the QSM11 motors but after the mech said that they priced them out last year for a customer and they where 100K I though differently. He stated that when you repower you need to add about half of another motor for all the misc stuff. So your looking at around 125k+. A bit steep for my blood even though I know that it would be a bad a*s setup. The mech said he would go with the "C" series motors due to how big and heavy the boat was.

I am planning on making a low offer and repowering but trying to obtain ballpark quotes is not easy when you don't know what you want to drop in. Thanks.
    Last edited by DealMan; 02-26-2016 at 10:06 PM.

QSM11 remans. C series are a bit small unless you are buying new QSCs at around 600HP
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    QSM11 remans. C series are a bit small unless you are buying new QSCs at around 600HP
    The remans he states where around 100k just for the motors. Put another 25k+ for misc install items. Don't think I am going to want to drop that much coin in her.
    Last edited by DealMan; 02-26-2016 at 10:06 PM.