Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: 1987 45 Convertible - Anyone know her?

Good looking boat. Looks like some water coming in over the port side in the vberth. Also, how do you access the anchor rode locker with that tv up forward in the vberth? I've had my chain get jammed up on occasion and I wouldn't want to have to uninstall a tv to clear it.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by DealMan View Post
    My thought exactly. I saw that and said, "maybe its a dock queen"?. Anyway, you guys are scaring me with these motors so I don't know. We will see.
    I wish they were the 550HP with the single wet turbo. If they are in good shape and the boat is as nice as listed, don't be afraid. Yes the wet turbos are better and a pair of Cummins QSM11's would be fantastic but if everything, including price, is good go for it. A clean repowered boat will cost much more than the ask for this one. If this one doesn't work out, keep looking for an '87 or newer boat or one that's been repowered. The newer boats will have the wet turbo 6V92TAs. Another note is that while this is an'87 boat, it still has the older styling and engines of the pre 1987 boats. It also has twin beds in the master which may be an issue for you as you said your wife wants to be more involved in the boat. Most of these have a queen in the master.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 02-26-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I wish they were the 550HP with the single wet turbo. If they are in good shape and the boat is as nice as listed, don't be afraid. Yes the wet turbos are better and a pair of Cummins QSM11's would be fantastic but if everything, including price, is good go for it. A clean repowered boat will cost much more than the ask for this one. If this one doesn't work out, keep looking for an '88 or newer boat or one that's been repowered. The newer boats will have the wet turbo 6V92TAs
    We have the 1990 Wet Turbo version, I thought they were 535HP according to specs/listing, but have been told by our Mechanic they're the 550HP's. Love the Boat, motors are great and raise fish. I mentioned speeds before on other threads 20/21 Knots Cruise, 26/27 knots WOT. If I could have one wish it would be 700HP +/- QSM 11's. I just haven't been able to justify in my mind a good enough reason to do it yet. The 6V92's run good so the only reason is more speed, that's it, the 6V92's don't worry me or scare me at all, they run great, and smooth. No Issues. At this point the only way I would look to change out and repower with new motors would be after these wear out or one blows up "which I doubt will happen", or if I found an unbelievable deal on new power that I couldn't pass up. But so long as the boats running good it's just not worth it.

Have you ever been out on a 45 Hatteras?

Tony

So I went to look at the boat. It appears to be good shape. Pretty clean. Everything on the boat in the way of motors is original all the way down to no dripless shaft seals. That is what scares me. The motors have around 1100 hours on them. I also saw the water stains on the port berth which means water is coming in from somewhere. I am going to be running this boat hard during the charter days and I really don't want to start chasing issues other then what is going to be normal. What I mean by that is simple. We all know that 1 year of charter puts at least 5 years on the boat. This boat obviously has not been ran. 29 years old with 1100 hours? That is 38 hours a year. 3 hours a month. This thing may be in great shape because she was never used or only used to cruise around the ICW. When I get her out in the 3-5s on a 25kt east wind and start putting her to use I am worried I may rattle some sleeping gremlins. haha...

Good point, but if you can buy her cheaply enough, she would be worth it.

FWIW, the M11s are available in the Cummins reman program, but I don't think at the 700 hp or higher rating. Not that you would use all that power very often anyway, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Good point, but if you can buy her cheaply enough, she would be worth it.

FWIW, the M11s are available in the Cummins reman program, but I don't think at the 700 hp or higher rating. Not that you would use all that power very often anyway, right?

More fuel burn equals less money in my pocket. I wouldn't want to be using all that power all the time and blowing money.

120k is where I stand on the boat right now.

So I went to look at the boat. It appears to be good shape. Pretty clean. Everything on the boat in the way of motors is original all the way down to no dripless shaft seals. That is what scares me. The motors have around 1100 hours on them. I also saw the water stains on the port berth which means water is coming in from somewhere. I am going to be running this boat hard during the charter days and I really don't want to start chasing issues other then what is going to be normal. What I mean by that is simple. We all know that 1 year of charter puts at least 5 years on the boat. This boat obviously has not been ran. 29 years old with 1100 hours? That is 38 hours a year. 3 hours a month. This thing may be in great shape because she was never used or only used to cruise around the ICW. When I get her out in the 3-5s on a 25kt east wind and start putting her to use I am worried I may rattle some sleeping gremlins. haha...
    It's highl unlikely the hours were accumulated that way. More likley they were put on in the first few years then sat for the rest of the time. From what I've seen the price sounds way to high. Jack will chime in but I don't think I've seen one go for over 100k for years. I may piss people off here but the series 11 45 is not the sea boat that the series 1 45 and 46 were.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    It's highl unlikely the hours were accumulated that way. More likley they were put on in the first few years then sat for the rest of the time. From what I've seen the price sounds way to high. Jack will chime in but I don't think I've seen one go for over 100k for years. I may piss people off here but the series 11 45 is not the sea boat that the series 1 45 and 46 were.
    Very interesting.

120k is where I stand on the boat right now.
    That's all the $$ in the world for an original 6v92 boat IMHO.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    That's all the $$ in the world for an original 6v92 boat IMHO.
    Aright thanks.