Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Re: 1987 45 Convertible - Anyone know her?

Quote Originally Posted by DealMan View Post
    Thanks Tony. I would be interested in seeing it.

I am starting to broaden my horizons as I can not seem to find a boat that I am drawn to. Renegotiated my slip and now I can go up to a 50'.
    I have been looking at Vikings and a few Bertrams this week. Also am looking at a Buddy Davis tomorrow.
    Out of curiosity, what's your Max Budget?

Tony

Thanks Tony. I would be interested in seeing it.

I am starting to broaden my horizons as I can not seem to find a boat that I am drawn to. Renegotiated my slip and now I can go up to a 50'.
    I have been looking at Vikings and a few Bertrams this week. Also am looking at a Buddy Davis tomorrow.
    Bertram is a great boat but the will roll when not running due to the deep V. Viking is not worth looking at unless you're looking at newer boats 2004 and up. Not sure what you're budget is but if you can get a Hatt 50C with Cats that would be a great boat. A 50 Post with 3406 Cats would be a good compromise and your wife will love the interior.
    Jack Sardina

I would prefer not to spend more than 150k but if the right boat came along who knows. I'm really digging this 47 Davis.

I 2nd the 50 Post Recommendation. It's not going to be as good of a ride as a 50 Hatteras or Bertram but it's a well built boat and a very efficient hull design. Not to mention the cockpit is huge for a 50ft boat as the beam is carried all the way aft with little to no taper. A 50 Post would be a good stable, efficient charter boat, and like Jack said your wife would love the interior.

You were originally looking at 38ft +/- boats then realized you needed to move to the mid 40's to get everything you were looking for as far as accommodations and cockpit size. Now your talking about 50 feet.

Lets use a 45/50 Hatteras as an example. I know it's only 5 feet BUT, you move from 6cyl to 12cyl Motors, 35/40 GPH to 60/70GPH at cruise, you add nearly a foot of draft, 25,000lbs and a few extra systems such as one or two additional AC Units and pumps. Not a huge deal but definitely something to think about.

To me in my experience boats jump exponentially in operating costs at certain lengths. I'd say 35 to 40 ft is a Group, Then small jump from 41 to 49 feet, a Big Jump at 50 to 59 feet, 60 to 65, then 65 to 80, and from there sky is the limit. But for some reason operating cost seem to really jump in that 50 ft range because you typically add a 3rd stateroom and double the cylinders on you power. One exception to that in a quality boat would be the 50 Post. It's very efficient and cruises like 30 knots with 8Cyl motors as opposed to 21 knots with 6cyl in a 45 Hatteras. I'd bet MPG are the same. That's why to me a 50 Post is a good Charter boat, Stable flat bottom aft section, and efficient to run.

That being said I do like the 50 Hatteras and Bertrams as well, they're just more expensive to run.

The Buddy Davis 47. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Pretty boat but tight inside for it's 47ft. You have to watch the hull bottom because many if not all I've heard are cored and have had some intrusion issues, and also the cockpit is small for a 47 ft boat. That being said, they do ride nice.

Tony

which engines in 47 Davis? And is this a fiberglass Davis or a cold-molded one?

They ARE pretty boats. Not much interior room for their length. Many have been rode hard and put away wet in OBX charter fleets.

A few to Consider

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988...s#.VuGvEn0rK9I

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997...s#.VuGx7H0rK9I

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984...s#.VuG1A30rK9I

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986...s#.VuG1On0rK9I

All that is being said about Deal Man buying a boat I can't believe it was never suggested that a refit/repowered 53 Hatteras Convertible could work. I could swear I read that somewhere that there is a 53 Hatteras Convertible, Refit, Repowered with CATS, Fresh pretty Paint Job, Multiple boat owner that is prepping this 53 to sell because he will be spending more time on his Burger MY. It might be "A 53 Like No Other". I'm not sure where I know I read this but I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere mentioned or wrote about this type of scenario. WINK, WINK. Maybe someone can help me. Does anyone on here know of a boat like this, where a guy may want to sell it and help this Deal Man buy it? Any help on this matter would be appreciated I'm sure? Wink Wink.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    A few to Consider

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988...s#.VuGvEn0rK9I

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1997...s#.VuGx7H0rK9I

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984...s#.VuG1A30rK9I

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986...s#.VuG1On0rK9I

All that is being said about Deal Man buying a boat I can't believe it was never suggested that a refit/repowered 53 Hatteras Convertible could work. I could swear I read that somewhere that there is a 53 Hatteras Convertible, Refit, Repowered with CATS, Fresh pretty Paint Job, Multiple boat owner that is prepping this 53 to sell because he will be spending more time on his Burger MY. It might be "A 53 Like No Other". I'm not sure where I know I read this but I'm pretty sure someone, somewhere mentioned or wrote about this type of scenario. WINK, WINK. Maybe someone can help me. Does anyone on here know of a boat like this, where a guy may want to sell it and help this Deal Man buy it? Any help on this matter would be appreciated I'm sure? Wink Wink.

Tony

Thanks buddy. Look at them now.

Quote Originally Posted by capttonyf View Post
    I 2nd the 50 Post Recommendation. It's not going to be as good of a ride as a 50 Hatteras or Bertram but it's a well built boat and a very efficient hull design. Not to mention the cockpit is huge for a 50ft boat as the beam is carried all the way aft with little to no taper. A 50 Post would be a good stable, efficient charter boat, and like Jack said your wife would love the interior.

You were originally looking at 38ft +/- boats then realized you needed to move to the mid 40's to get everything you were looking for as far as accommodations and cockpit size. Now your talking about 50 feet.

Lets use a 45/50 Hatteras as an example. I know it's only 5 feet BUT, you move from 6cyl to 12cyl Motors, 35/40 GPH to 60/70GPH at cruise, you add nearly a foot of draft, 25,000lbs and a few extra systems such as one or two additional AC Units and pumps. Not a huge deal but definitely something to think about.

To me in my experience boats jump exponentially in operating costs at certain lengths. I'd say 35 to 40 ft is a Group, Then small jump from 41 to 49 feet, a Big Jump at 50 to 59 feet, 60 to 65, then 65 to 80, and from there sky is the limit. But for some reason operating cost seem to really jump in that 50 ft range because you typically add a 3rd stateroom and double the cylinders on you power. One exception to that in a quality boat would be the 50 Post. It's very efficient and cruises like 30 knots with 8Cyl motors as opposed to 21 knots with 6cyl in a 45 Hatteras. I'd bet MPG are the same. That's why to me a 50 Post is a good Charter boat, Stable flat bottom aft section, and efficient to run.

That being said I do like the 50 Hatteras and Bertrams as well, they're just more expensive to run.

The Buddy Davis 47. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Pretty boat but tight inside for it's 47ft. You have to watch the hull bottom because many if not all I've heard are cored and have had some intrusion issues, and also the cockpit is small for a 47 ft boat. That being said, they do ride nice.

Tony
    I agree with this. If the boat was solely going to be a charter boat I would stay smaller and more efficient. Being that the family is going to be using the boat I would rather spend more money and get a less efficient boat with higher maintenance costs. I already have the boats that she doesn't want to be on and it sucks. Truly the only reason I charter is because it gives me a great excuse to do what I love and helps offset the cost of ownership. Not going to get rich. Just lightens the blow a bit. I don't want to get into something again that the wife is not going to enjoy. Hence why expanding my horizons with the length of the boat seems like a good start to get more options

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    which engines in 47 Davis? And is this a fiberglass Davis or a cold-molded one?

They ARE pretty boats. Not much interior room for their length. Many have been rode hard and put away wet in OBX charter fleets.
    Fiberglass. 8v92ti. Slowww boat but I feel that at those power outputs the motors would last. Just rebuilt with 100 hours on them.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...s#.VuHtJOTSncs
    Last edited by DealMan; 03-10-2016 at 05:07 PM.

I agree with this. If the boat was solely going to be a charter boat I would stay smaller and more efficient. Being that the family is going to be using the boat I would rather spend more money and get a less efficient boat with higher maintenance costs. I already have the boats that she doesn't want to be on and it sucks. Truly the only reason I charter is because it gives me a great excuse to do what I love and helps offset the cost of ownership. Not going to get rich. Just lightens the blow a bit. I don't want to get into something again that the wife is not going to enjoy. Hence why expanding my horizons with the length of the boat seems like a good start to get more options
    If you want the wife to like it then Hatteras, Viking, or Post, and then maybe a Bertram. Bertram is a hell of a sea boat while running but the exterior fit and finish doesn't compare with a Hatteras or Viking. Lots of access panels screwed into place with plastic caps, lexan panels, Wire run step overs on the bridge, metal latches etc. They're well built for fishing but not as nicely finished off from a cruising stand point. The Post will have the roomiest interior of the 50's but don't rule out one of the repowered 52 Hatts I sent. Great running boats with a lot of space.

Tony