Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1976 46C Steel Plates in Cockpit Deck Core?

I am in the process of re-coring the cockpit deck of my 46C. When I removed the upper layer of fiberglass I noticed there were two 8-inch square steel(?) plates embedded in the core in the area roughly above the rudder stems. (Sorry, it seems that I must have deleted the pictures I took). The plates didn't appear to be attached anything above or below. The core in those areas was in really bad shape and the plates were basically falling apart when I removed them.

I was wondering what purpose they serve and if I need to replace them when I lay in the new core?

Re: 1976 46C Steel Plates in Cockpit Deck Core?

Possibly mounts for fighting chairs? We have some 46C owners, or former 46C owners, who will more than likely know what they were there for. Asking Sam's would be useful as well.

The steel plates were laminated into the cockpit and foredeck areas to provide a place that could be drilled and tapped in order to fasten lifting eyes into the steel that could be used for separating the part from the mold.

Ahhh....so it sounds like there would be no need to worry about replacing them.

Thanks