Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hatteras Production numbers

I enjoy looking at the brochures on Sams site and I often wonder how many of a certain model were built. Does anyone have those numbers? It would be nice if Sams could obtain them from Hatteras or whoever knows and add them in a column next to the years listed on the brochure page.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Hatteras Production numbers

Sky,

I agree that it would be interesting to see how popular each model was (and perhaps even discuss why or why not popular). Steve McPhearsen once told me that the 53 MY was #1. My present 48 MY (1981-1985) was probably at or near the bottom of the list (only 30 -35 built). In the early 80's the 65' motorsailer was probably at the very bottom of the list. (I understand they built only 3 or 5 boats - a pity)

How about it Steve

Walt P.

Walt,

I agree, those production number could become the topics of discussion. I had no idea so few 48's were built. This reminds me of a story:

My dad had a 43DC back in 1981 when the 48MY came out. I remember touring the "Hatteras Lady" in Port Huron, Michigan. She was a beautiful boat and my dad was quite serious about trading up at the time. As it turned out, he waited until 1983 to sell the 43 and then had his eye on a used 53MY in Ft.Lauderdale. He decided to stop by on his way and visit with Vince Lazarra at Gulfstar in St. Pete. Long story short, he ended up buying a 49' Gulfstar MY instead. Funny how things work out.

Anyway, I will always remember the 48 and how much more boat it was than the 43 we had at the time. It sure seems like they would have sold more than 30 or so. Nice boat!
    Sky Cheney

The Powerboat Guide has a lot of production numbers. I don't believe they have a complete list but a lot of them.

Ted

Pascoe says that "over 600" 53's were built in all configurations: C, MY, ED. But I don't know where he got that figure.

6. Hatteras Production numbers

In 1999 shortly after I bought my 1972 48 ft YF, I called Hatteras to discuss a few things and one of the questions I asked was how many of my model were made. Whoever it is I spoke with would NOT divulge the production number citing competitive reasons, which I still find idiotic. (How could a 27 year old production number have anything to do with competition?) I even suggested a number I had heard at the time (which I do not recall) and the Hatteras rep would neither confirm nor deny that number.
    He was candid in one assessment: "Those boats are built like tanks".

My 1979 43DC was hull #510 ... so I assume that at least 510 of the 43DC's were built.

Quote Originally Posted by eze2bme
    My 1979 43DC was hull #510 ... so I assume that at least 510 of the 43DC's were built.
    I'm not sure if that is how it works or not. For instance, my hull # is 759. Does that mean 759 53' hulls were built in all configurations? Or does it mean 759 53ED's? (we know that is not the case).....or does it mean 759 53MY's, YF's and ED's?(probably not that either). And do they include the 58MY and 58YF too? I just don't know, but it would be great to find out.
    Sky Cheney

When you say "hull number 510" where is this number located? The number stamped on our 53 transom, which is what I've always thought was the hull number, is HATAM5911080. I don't see a three digit number anywhere on the boat. Or does some portion of that number represent that it is, for example, the 591st 53? I would assume that the last two digits could be the year since our boat is an '80. Beyond that, I have no idea. Maybe it's the 591st 53, built in Oct 1980? Seems like they wouldn't have made that many by then being as there was another 8 years of production and less than 700 total (per Pascoe).

I was able to get- approximately- the number of 36 convertible series one boats built- about 225, I think. Now- mine is 36C-391 and it is from the third production year. Maybe the number means third year, ninety-first boat? It is still hard to believe they got up that far in only three years, to the best of my knowledge there was only one set of 36C molds. So how they picked that number has nothing to do with the total number of boats, I suspect. Hatteras is funny about releasing production totals- they don't like to. Regarding designs that are now twenty and thirty years old, I agree- what difference would it make? None that I can see, frankly.
    I wonder if they made a lot of models that didn't sell very well, like the first 38 convertibles. Maybe they wouldn't want that generally known.