Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Show us your Helm

Quote Originally Posted by Timeout View Post
    1978 43 DC Before and After.
    Very clean. I'm showing this to a friend who has the same model. Sharp.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Modified series 1 41c
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Question on your vinyl top. What is the expected life span? I have just a normal Bimini made of sunbrella. I really like the look of hours.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It's probably 15 years old. Starting to show age but still intact.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Before and after. The before picture actually has much nicer light but the after shows the reduction in the old "klunky" electronics boxes after I and the new Garmin system installed, which makes the helm much more streamlined. Not to mention how much nicer the new stuff is to use including the AP.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Very nice Kevin. Did you do the update?
    I did the update. Removed old large aluminum enclosure, and a trashcan full of wire. I built the new enclosure out of maple with a piece cut out of the old aluminum enclosure epoxied to the back as it was curved and maximized space for 14" monitor, then encapsulated with west system and painted. Had a local shop laser cut polished stainless plates for the new and relocated switches and original gages which were relocated up close. This allowed everything to be reached from the helm seat. Had to stand up to reach old electronics. The compass is still there and easily seen from the helm standing or seated. Just not visible from this angle.
    Last edited by Timeout; 02-09-2016 at 10:44 AM.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post
    Before and after. The before picture actually has much nicer light but the after shows the reduction in the old "klunky" electronics boxes after I and the new Garmin system installed, which makes the helm much more streamlined. Not to mention how much nicer the new stuff is to use including the AP.

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY
    Very clean Cheryl. Where did you get shift knobs?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Beautiful make over Scrod. I notice the knobs have been changed. Did you sell the old one? I know someone that may be interested.
    Thank you. It was a much more involved project than it looks like. I made covered bezels for the gauges to help protect them out on the open bridge.

34qmd78.jpg

The replacement arms and knobs are Ongaro stainless. I think the original knobs were Schaefer marine.

http://hardware.schaefermarine.com/i...ndex&cPath=180

I don't remember them being in great shape when I took them off and would have to really dig to see if I even still have them. If I come across them I will let you know.
    Last edited by Avenger; 06-15-2021 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Fixed image
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by holtcl View Post

Cheryl
    Cinderella
    1971 53 MY
    Gota love the ships wheel!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present