Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water Collecting in Bilge While on the Hard

I'm baffled as to why I have water collecting in the bilge below the galley. At first I thought it just water that shifted while the boat was being hauled and blocked but I've vacuumed out the water a couple times now and it returns. I'm talking a significant amount like 10 gallons or more. We've had some bad storms but for the life of me I can't see how it would find its way down there. I thought maybe in through the anchor chain or windlass but the forward locker and bilge are dry as a bone and it's really not possible for it to come that way. The boat is "nose high" on the blocks so it can't be coming from the aft. Now it's freezing temps here so getting harder to remove it.

Any ideas ?
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Re: Water Collecting in Bilge While on the Hard

Do you have the 32 volt water pump on? If it’s on and you develop a leak, the pressure will turn on and shove it out wherever it’s leaking. If it’s off I’m not sure.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Do you have the 32 volt water pump on? If it’s on and you develop a leak, the pressure will turn on and shove it out wherever it’s leaking. If it’s off I’m not sure.
    Just sourced a leak in my fresh water line to this exact thing. Kept finding fresh water on top of my water and sewer tanks. Wound up being a small leak in my outlet hose at the pump which is located in the stairwell over the freshwater tank. Apparently the leak was so slow the pump never cycled when I was in the boat.

Pretty sure the battery banks are all off and even if they weren't these batteries are toast. But it's worth checking, thanks.

Some Hatteras yachts were built with hollow keels, and water can collect in them. I don't know the layout of your boat, but it's a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Some Hatteras yachts were built with hollow keels, and water can collect in them. I don't know the layout of your boat, but it's a possibility.
    Interesting.
    Another reason I don't think it's fresh water supply is I drained that tank and ran polypropene through the entire system. This water is clear not pink.

I'm gonna keep draining it till it doesn't come back. I should kill two birds and cut out the faulty seacock and just leave the hole open for now it will act as a drain.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    The keels are not actually hollow. There is a space between the tanks that are fit down into the keel and the hull. This space was filled with foam as the tanks were set in place and then they were tabbed in. In some cases, water gets past that tabbing and collects in and around the foam. You will see where some owners have drilled a hole in the keel to drain that water.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Our 34 has been on the hard for a few years. Water accumulates in the strangest places. I think it has a lot to do with it not sitting level like it does in the water. They are designed to drain normally while in that position.
    1966 34c
    1982 46 HP

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You will see where some owners have drilled a hole in the keel to drain that water.
    The origination of Hatteras smell

Are you in salt water or fresh? If salt, get a bottle of Poland Spring handy to rinse your mouth out and taste the water.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau