Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Converting GM Heads to freshwater

Whenever it rains a lot the lake water turns muddy and the heads are disgusting. What's involved in converting the 32 volt GMs to freshwater? Is there a serious risk of flooding if a solenoid sticks open?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Converting GM Heads to freshwater

Raz Marine sells a kit to do that: http://razmarinepumps.com/marine-toi...ump-parts.html
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

We took a different path on converting the heads to freshwater, added a dedicated pickup to the tank with a manifold to supply each head. If you go that root make sure each supply has a check valve.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

It could only flood you the amount of water in your water tanks unless you are connected to dockside water. I did 3 on my old boat and just used water solenoids connected so that they opened when the pump is on. In other words just connected to the hot wire on the pump motor. I also kept the old plumbing so it can be an easy switch back if need be......Pat

Quote Originally Posted by doc g View Post
    It could only flood you the amount of water in your water tanks unless you are connected to dockside water. I did 3 on my old boat and just used water solenoids connected so that they opened when the pump is on. In other words just connected to the hot wire on the pump motor. I also kept the old plumbing so it can be an easy switch back if need be......Pat
    Im thinking about doing mine, any chance of backflow contaimination?

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    Whenever it rains a lot the lake water turns muddy and the heads are disgusting. What's involved in converting the 32 volt GMs to freshwater? Is there a serious risk of flooding if a solenoid sticks open?
    Move down to WindRiver....on Tellico, beautiful water. Come on down David

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I like being able to walk to work. By the way, do you want my 32 volt DC bulbs?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Can't blame you liking the ability to walk to work, whatever that is! FWIW, I think my boat was originally fresh water heads. The old fresh water supply lines lay alongside the raw water supply lines at the head pump. So I'm thinking to switch back, I'd just close the raw water ball valve and switch hoses at the supply end of the pump. Might not be that easy, but it appears so. I haven't tried your LED trick yet, but that looks like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    I think my boat was originally fresh water heads. The old fresh water supply lines lay alongside the raw water supply lines at the head pump. So I'm thinking to switch back, I'd just close the raw water ball valve and switch hoses at the supply end of the pump. Might not be that easy, but it appears so.
    I think you will need a 32 volt solenoid valve as the freshwater pressure of 50 psi or more is much greater than the raw water pressure.