Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: 1985 64' Cockpit Motoryacht for sale

Sea Eric,

Dave's boat is a 1985 model which would equate to the Series II 58' MY (but with a cockpit added) and that Series was built with the wider 18'2" beam. The Series I 58MY, built between 1977 and 1980, is the 15'10" beam. So, it is an accurate description that Dave's boat is basically the 58 (galley down model) with a cockpit. It is, indeed, a beautiful, well-maintained, clean vessel. Had I been shopping in that price range and for the galley down model when I saw her in February, I would have bought her.

Ang

Quote Originally Posted by awschucks
    Hi,

Sorry for the delay in answering, but I'm just recovering from eye surgery and I am just starting to see again. (plug for Baskin Palmer in Miami. BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD FOR EYE CARE. no I'm not in the food chain there )

Any way, our 64 started out as a 56' and had a 8' cockpit added by Cable Marine. They developed the technique for Allied and the whole thing was sponsored ( supported by ? ) Hatters as I've been told. Cable developed the molds and did the development for Allied. Allied, I understand was called Hatteras south.

Our fishing cockpit has a Jenn Air grill with a built in refrigerator and freezer. Also a small sink to clean up and lots of storage with two huge lazzeretes. There is a fresh water wash down connection for cockpit clean up. Easy access to the swim platform with an opening hatch. 550 gallons of additional fuel tank as well.

Thanks,
    Dave
    With all due respect Angela.

Sorry-- I just couldn't find anywhere where Hatteras made a 56MY in 1985. I saw that the 56MY production ran between 1981 and 1984 and then the Series II 58MY with the 18'2" beam ran between 1985 and 1987. Therefore, I thought perhaps he meant 58 (Series II of course) instead of 56. Maybe the Hatteras archive information is wrong or incomplete with regard to production years - could be. I could never really see where the 2 feet between the two models were gained or lost anyway - they are both amazingly spacious inside. My first word when walking into Dave's boat was "WOW!"

I was merely making mention that I couldn't see how describing the boat as having a likeness to the "58MY with a cockpit" does a disservice to the huge beam when the 1985 58MY has the 18'2" beam, rather than the 15'10" beam, that's all.
    Last edited by Angela; 05-03-2006 at 08:49 PM.

Model year and year of production are two different things, as are hull # and production #.

Hi,

I'm told by Ed at Sam's that the boat is a 56' with the 8' cockpit added by Hatteras (under their direction). It is 18' 2" wide. I am forced to sell our Hat, as I have had a detached retina and other major vision problems. My depth perception is gone and I am seeing double. Any way, we are trying to sell it and maybe a little explanation is in order as to what I am doing with Ebay and all of the brokers.

We sold another boat in the Pacific Northwest a few years ago and it was a total nightmare. We listed the boat with broker 'A' that we were told, was a 'good one'. Not much happened for several months and finally a friend of mine called broker 'B' asking about our boat that 'A' had for sale. He was told that our boat was a not good boat and to not buy it. My friend called broker 'C' asking about our boat at 'A' and was told it was not a good boat and to look at the boat that 'C' had, that was similar. In other words, 'A' wanted a customer to come in the door and buy our boat directly so he would not have to split the commission with another broker. Broker 'B' was ok, but was told lies by broker 'A'. Broker 'C' was only intersted in selling the boat that he had in inventory.

We eventually had someone come in the door to broker 'A' ( a friend of his ) and buy it, but it was a total nightmare. My blood pressure still goes up to just start talking about the sale.

The boat was surveyed and found to be lacking one battery hold down strap. All the electronics were new and the interior teak was beautiful.

Sooo, what I am doing is offering open listings to anyone that is interested in selling the boat. Several brokers have promised me that they had someone ready to buy, so I said great, bring them on.
    No response.

I know that having several brokers involved has caused confusion, but it might stop this bickering over commissions. I also understand that the brokers may not want to spend any money on selling our Hat, as they do not have an exclusive. Considering my previous experience, I'm not sure what to do......

I would really like to sell it to someone on this forum, that will appreciate getting a very nice, non hurricane damaged boat. Make me a reasonable offer and you will get a very clean Hat with an all new interior.

If I am going down the wrong path, what should I be doing? I just want to get a fair price for a nice boat.

Dave
    Last edited by awschucks; 05-04-2006 at 07:04 AM.

6. Re: 1985 64' Cockpit Motoryacht for sale

This is indeed a problem and there is no CLEAN solution to it.

This happens in the real estate business all the time as well, and there's little you can do about it THERE either.

This is why Gigabite is not listed with a broker - any broker. I simply can't get past the conflict of interest problem - and they all have 'em. Some are better than others, but the problem is that the listing broker isn't enough - if the BUYER is talking to a broker, then the problem still exists.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

And a lot of people think that what I do for a living is easy. Heh!

8. Re: 1985 64' Cockpit Motoryacht for sale

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric
    And a lot of people think that what I do for a living is easy. Heh!
    Its not you.

The problem is the other side of the transaction, and you have no means of controlling it.

If I'm a buyer, and I go to some broker to ask him about boats, he has a strong incentive to tell me that a boat you have listed is a POS and I shouldn't buy it. Why? Because he only gets a piece of - rather than all of - the commission.

You can't fix this Eric..... NOTHING fixes this so long as the "split commission" system exists (as it does for real estate); the EXACT same problem comes up there.

If I'm a buyer and have a R/E agent working for me, according to their code of ethics they are bound to act in my best interest. Yet they won't show me a FSBO house, which is directly contrary to my best interest - that might be the house I want!

I don't know what the solution is for this, to be honest. If a broker brought me a buyer of my boat, I'd negotiate something with him for that one showing, or even an open listing. But what I won't do is place a central, because while YOU might be the best broker in the world neither you or I can control what every OTHER broker is going to do.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Selfishness and greed makes me crazy. But yes, its out there. Successful, known professionals in our industry do not pull that kind of crap. 10% of the brokers in this business are doing 90% of the actual business. The rest are operating on the fringe, in the "attack first, or be eaten" realm. It is truly, just like real estate, or worse. Guys like this don't develop loyalties with any customer, ever.

It is always best if you can work with a broker with whom you have developed a professional relationship, over time. With a listing, buyers now days usually go directly to the guy who represents the boat. If the listing broker presents the boat properly, and treats the customer with the courtesy and respect that they deserve, the boat will get sold.

The "hit and run" sales guys will always be out there. Most Hatteras shoppers, I dare say, will not give a guy like that the time of day. They will merely move on to another boat or brokerage. After all, there is always another boat out there.

Hi Dave.....just as a matter of clarification at this point what is the new asking price as of June 19th? Your boat looks fantastic by the way.

DC