Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: 1980 42' LRC - Anybody familiar with this boat?

"I plan on spending years cruising the islands, South America, Central America, Mexico and who knows where I end up. Sure there will be stops everywhere but mostly on the hook the whole time. Definately not a weekend Marina boat. Given those parameters, wouldn't the LRC be the best choice for seaworthiness, comfort and economy? Or not."

Sounds like your still dreaming about what your missions will be for the boat. You need to seriously analize your mission profile and pick a boat accordingly. A run out old pleasure boat might not be the best choice for long open water passages where the weather might change drastically with little options once your committed.BTW round bottom boats really roll when their stopped or at anchor.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I come down squarely on the side of the MY crowd. When I began looking for a live aboard I considered a trawler, but was discouraged by the cost/volume equation. Every one that I looked at in the mid 40' range seemed small and twice as expensive when compared to a MY. When I looked closely at fuel consumption at hull speeds, there wasn't enough of a difference to warrant the "trawler premium". Add to that the fact that I am on my boat considerably more than I am underway (around 30-1), space and comfortable living is, in reality, the most important virtue for me.
    To be honest, I just don't get this whole trawler thing. Most seem to be dock queens, and few ever lose sight of land. Of course I guess that could be said about most boats.
    Unless you truly intend to do multi day offshore deep water passages regardless of weather conditions, your dollar will go a lot further and your pleasure and comfort will be a lot greater with a well founded MY.
    Last edited by gbharrington; 01-14-2016 at 03:38 PM.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

for me the MY is the way to go..we have a 56' MY and we burn about 10 gal. an hour at 1200-1350 RPMs doing about 8-10 knts but i can throttle down to 1000 RPMs and do from 6-8 knts and get better fuel economy but in not worried about that i like the comfort of our MY we are not always on the move with her and when we are at the Marina and on the hook comfort and room mean a lot for me and my wife....oh yea and we don't go anywhere if the weather is not going to be in our favor....we no it can change so having the extra get up and go is worth it for us....

Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II
    Last edited by kjcampos; 01-14-2016 at 07:55 PM.

After reading this thread, I probably should stop at Lowes today and buy a bag of rocks to throw at my 48 LRC.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    After reading this thread, I probably should stop at Lowes today and buy a bag of rocks to throw at my 48 LRC.

Pete
    Not at all. As they say different strokes etc. The 48 LRC is a great boat. If it works for you, that's just super. BTW, what kind of fuel burn do you get?

Bobk

Pete
    Lawn darts, not rocks .........(joke). I really like the layout and styling of the 48 and 58 LRC. Only thign I don't like about the 48 is that it isn't walk-around deck and one has to go inside to get from bow to stern. Oh, and I don't like the prices--but that's nothing against the LRC, it's good they hold their value!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Fuel burn is right at 6 gallons an hour doing 8 knots in semi calm waters, generator on but lightly loaded, stabilizers active, with 1300+ gallons of fuel, and 350+ gallons fresh water onboard, plus and this is the big one, everything the Admiral thinks is necessary for her and the dog's life style, and any possible request from a guest.

Pete

Pete
    OK some of you MY folks need to come over to Skooch and take a little ride on a 58 LRC. And on the little Skooch 42' the ride was much more comfortable than on my 41 SF at the same speed. If you are going to go long and slow the LRC with Stabilizers is more comfortable. Range is better and just as much room as the same sized 42 MY.

The hull is flatter aft to keep it from squatting when over powered by the mighty 4-53s. But she would do 9 knots if you want to. 7.5 was best at just shy of 4 gallons an hour. Now you MY folks will say I get 7-8 knots and only burn 6-7 gallons an hour. And although I got fuel for 1.92 last month, try to think in percentages like 6 gallons per hour is 50% more than 4 gph. That will make a difference.

The Mark II 42 LRCs have a U-shaped galley which we liked. Ours was hull number one and had the fuel tanks along the keel keeping the weight low. Newer Mark II has saddle tanks which are easier to use.

Yes a 56 MY has more room than a 42 LRC. But 58' Big Skooch makes the 56 MY look like a little sister. Not sure where you folks got the idea the LRCs don't have as much room. My freind had 40 people on his 58 LRC for her birthday party in Miami. What no cockpit on the MY. I gotta tell ya the YF have too much boat tied up in too big a cockpit. We use are cockpit all the time to access floating docks and the usual swimming and grabbing the dog when he jumps in. Oh its essential for Man Overboard safety. Do the motor yachts has electrical access on the bow and stern? I don't think so. Do you have to deploy the heavy ladder all the time. We use our occasionally.

Also you might note that when the grand kids and their little dog are with us they sleep in a nice stateroom with head and shower while mom sleeps near buy in a large stateroom with head and shower while my wife and I sleep aft down a separate stair case away from the noise. This in contrast to the long dark companionway thru the galley, past the small engine rooms and staterooms to the master with a small double bed. The 58 LRC has a stand up full beam engine room in the middle with all the machinery. Galley UP. Our aft cabin has a real King sized bed. And a real pilot house with nearby day head and A/C. I gotta ask do any of the MY have day heads?

So lets talk about the speed. The LRCs can not do the MY's 14-15 knots. I gotta tell ya most MY 53s and 58s can't get up on plane at all with out a perfectly clean bottom and less stuff on board and full throttle. So if you go slow anyway? And in conclusion the LRCs go half the speed, but a better in many many other ways. IMHO

Thanks Pete. Don't throw rocks at you 48 LRC bring her down to our LRC rendezvous in St. Pete next month! If you go out at Beaufort NC its three days to Fort Peirce. Can a motor yacht do that, nope they can't.

David
    Skooch
    Beaufort SC

I love the 58 lrc. It's just massive. The 42 is not as large in comparison to a 42 my.

That all being said it's all what you want to do with it. I like convertibles. So neither suits my needs yet if I wanted a live aboard I'd look at the 58 and 65 lrc along with motor yachts and others based on what my needs changed too.

Downside to the 58 lrc is size.

She's deep wide and heavy. It's harder to find slips and hauling facilities. You also need deeper water.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My post about throwing rocks at my 48 LRC was my feebly attempt at some light sarcasm, as I read the opinions of some that fail to appreciate what the free market has forever rewarded with a premium value. The boat is the best fit for what I value, and I only hope that everyone else can find the boat they want to keep forever. There are lots of choices out there.

Pete