Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 1980 42' LRC - Anybody familiar with this boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Well, I spoke the broker and this what he had to say as best I can remember:
    " The boat was owned by a couple, he died a few years ago. She wants to sell it. The boat has been out of the water for two years. An engine survey was completed by Atlantic Florida Marine, in the slings, cannot launch boat because of leaking seals and stuck seacocks. Engine survey looked good, minor problem with an injector, no smoke... Survey cost $1200 and is available for $600 if I want it. The survey was commissioned by a buyer who intended to purchase the boat but couldn't get title because it was tied up by the estate executor. He walked away after a while. A stabilizer needs some work, batteries are all dead. Rise glass needs replacement, panel damage to wood from leaking windows... Broker thinks $20,000 to get her fixed up."

I am a little indecisive about this. I am not afraid of doing the work but unsure of the depth, scope and cost. I have read and completely understand the view point of buying one that is as perfect as possible but I enjoy working on projects and certainly have the time. Any thoughts?
    I bought mine because it was at a very low price and I knew what it would take to bring it up to standards. The PO did almost no maintenance and as a result the majority of systems needed replacing or major repair. Even with my estimates it was over double the projected dollars. $20k will barely get you out of a boatyard and a boat sitting up dry for a long time has a very negative effect on everything. As suggested, look closely at any mold issues.

Proceed cautiously and with your eyes & wallet open. Sometimes it's more pleasurable to be sitting with a cool beverage on the boat than saying, "we'll soon be on the water cruising."
    Art

If the Broker said 20K that means my 60K estimate is a little low!

If it's talking to you AND you can steal it.....do it. Otherwise.....take a cold shower and click here:

www.yachtowrld.com
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

If any of us, God forbid, died today and the boat sat unused for 6 years, you know it would look rough and our wives would sell it cheap. Just saying. Look at it close. It might not be as bad as everyone thinks.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Unless you just like the layout and the looks I don't see that much of an appeal over a standard hulled MY or conv. Pulled back to the same speeds the efficiency isn't all that much greater. And if you've ever been caught offshore when it's getting dark storms are moving in it's awfully nice to push the throttles up and get the heck out of dodge!
    +1 what Mr Smith said. Shop for a nice cond Hatt MY and run it at displacement speed.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Ditto to Sea Eric. There is enough expense and upkeep on a nice boat without screwing yourself on a fixer-upper. Few things worse than a boat that's been left sitting for years in a boatyard in the Florida Sun. $20,000 to fix up? The broker is clueless! A good 40-50ft Motor Yacht will provide better accommodations and serve the same purpose for the same ownership cost. Nothing wrong with seeing it, but you seriously need to look at several options. Needs TLC means it needs $100,000!

Setting aside the economic decision of whether a project like this particular boat is viable or not, many opinions seem to favor a different type of boat and I am curious as why this viewpoint may be more advantageous.

My observations:

Would a MY or convertible be a better choice for long term live aboard and long distance travel? I plan on spending years cruising the islands, South America, Central America, Mexico and who knows where I end up. Sure there will be stops everywhere but mostly on the hook the whole time. Definately not a weekend Marina boat. Given those parameters, wouldn't the LRC be the best choice for seaworthiness, comfort and economy? Or not.

The industrial rated GM 4-53 can run forever at 2500 rpm, at a reduced rpm cruise at 7.5 knots burning .5 gal per hour, 755 gallons means a range of 1,000 to 1,500 miles, not that it might be needed but will definately allow choosing when and where to fuel up a few times a year.

The rounded displacement hull, I have read, would be safer and more seaworthy in the open waters. I'm not sure if it would be more comfortable.

I am certainly open minded to all suggestions. I just want to pick the right type of boat for my needs. I am hoping your wisdom and experience can point me in the proper direction.

The round bottom dosent make the boat safer just slightly more efficient. id be looking at steel hulled ex commercial boats with watertight doors and steel dogged down covers for the windows.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Setting aside the economic decision of whether a project like this particular boat is viable or not, many opinions seem to favor a different type of boat and I am curious as why this viewpoint may be more advantageous.

My observations:

Would a MY or convertible be a better choice for long term live aboard and long distance travel? I plan on spending years cruising the islands, South America, Central America, Mexico and who knows where I end up. Sure there will be stops everywhere but mostly on the hook the whole time. Definately not a weekend Marina boat. Given those parameters, wouldn't the LRC be the best choice for seaworthiness, comfort and economy? Or not.

The industrial rated GM 4-53 can run forever at 2500 rpm, at a reduced rpm cruise at 7.5 knots burning .5 gal per hour, 755 gallons means a range of 1,000 to 1,500 miles, not that it might be needed but will definately allow choosing when and where to fuel up a few times a year.

The rounded displacement hull, I have read, would be safer and more seaworthy in the open waters. I'm not sure if it would be more comfortable.

I am certainly open minded to all suggestions. I just want to pick the right type of boat for my needs. I am hoping your wisdom and experience can point me in the proper direction.
    Some thoughts for you: I went through this decision process 9+ years ago when my late wife decided (demanded?) that we get a larger boat. We had a single screw 41' Hershine trawler in the sundeck/hardtop configuration so we were used to economy and the spacious living arrangement. We were living aboard 9-12 months per year cruising the AICW to the tune of 3000 miles per year. The single 135 HP Lehman burned 2.7 gph at about 7.5 knots so I would seriously doubt the fuel burn you are anticipating. You might approach 1.7 gph in a 42 KK with a sail boat hull at 6 knots but that is a single engine boat.

Anyway, our search for a larger live aboard trawler led us no where as we wanted a 'trawler' with the large sundeck arrangement for comfortable living. Several brokers suggested we buy a motor yacht and run it slow, but we resisted because of the fuel burn concern. Once we saw the 48 series I MY, we were hooked. I run it at 8.3 knots and it delivers at 1.3-.1.4 SMPG. In terms of overall costs, the incremental fuel cost is a small fraction.

My view of your questions... first read Beebe's 'Cruising Under Power'.. Visit a variety of boats at shows and meetings of groups like MTOA. Then make up a formal spread sheet of your wants, desires and no-go's to help keep you objective. Check the various Hatteras models under the advertising brochures here.LRC's are rugged, but not true 'trawlers' in that the chines are only softened, unlike a boat with a round hull shape eg KK 42. The flat transom will respond to quartering seas poorly. If most of your time is at anchor, vs. running, give creature considerations more priority. I like many others here prefer the space of a MY over an LRC. I have also made use of the power to out run a storm, catch a bridge opening, or improve stability in a short quartering sea.

I'm rambling. PM me if you would like to take this off line.

Bobk

There's no answer we can give you other than to say, "Go look at it yourself." Don't put much into someone else's assessment of the boat unless they have something to back it up. If they want to sell the boat they should give you a copy of the current survey free of charge. Two years isn't that long if she was laid up properly. Could be minor work needed or could be too far gone to be worth it, depending on your skill level and available time. Take a good hard look at everything. Make an offer if you think it's worth the effort and then get a thorough survey of the boat and engines. They should make the boat ready for survey and sea trial at the owner's expense once you have a signed deal. If you buy it as is/where is then make sure you are paying a price that would account for all the big stuff being shot. For me that would be less than $0.
    Jack Sardina