Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: 1980 42' LRC - Anybody familiar with this boat?

Interesting you should say that about the Nordhavn. I think they are well made but not a lot of interior room.

At this last year's Annapolis show we toured a Krogen Express; I was astonished at how little room in in there- tiny cabins, small spaces, not even that much storage, and all that on a boat which is supposedly intended for long passages and extended time at sea? By comparison, we toured a 55 Fleming- totally different. Lots of room, lots of storage- a real yacht. AND I think would be a good boat for long periods aboard, both at sea and in port.

I like LRCs but as you say, with diesel as cheap as it is, the advantage to them is less than it was when diesel was 4-5 dollars a gallon.

Unless you just like the layout and the looks I don't see that much of an appeal over a standard hulled MY or conv. Pulled back to the same speeds the efficiency isn't all that much greater. And if you've ever been caught offshore when it's getting dark storms are moving in it's awfully nice to push the throttles up and get the heck out of dodge!
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

One thing to think about with one of these boats that's been closed up for years is mold. Pretty tough to get rid of once it starts to grow. I know several people who ended up with sick house syndrome after the Hurricanes in 04. I've heard of some people who ended up hospitalized from the mold exposure. Some people are more sensitive than others. We all kind of live with it on our boats but one that's too infested might not be able to be cleaned up
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    This one looks to be in better shape? http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/5395649390.html
    If this is the boat I think it is, she was 3 slips over from me last summer. Owner is a good guy and a surveyor. He was on the boat frequently doing all nature of work. She was always trim and tidy. I was never aboard but IMHO, she would be worthy of a visit if you are in the market for this model.

Well, I spoke the broker and this what he had to say as best I can remember:
    " The boat was owned by a couple, he died a few years ago. She wants to sell it. The boat has been out of the water for two years. An engine survey was completed by Atlantic Florida Marine, in the slings, cannot launch boat because of leaking seals and stuck seacocks. Engine survey looked good, minor problem with an injector, no smoke... Survey cost $1200 and is available for $600 if I want it. The survey was commissioned by a buyer who intended to purchase the boat but couldn't get title because it was tied up by the estate executor. He walked away after a while. A stabilizer needs some work, batteries are all dead. Rise glass needs replacement, panel damage to wood from leaking windows... Broker thinks $20,000 to get her fixed up."

I am a little indecisive about this. I am not afraid of doing the work but unsure of the depth, scope and cost. I have read and completely understand the view point of buying one that is as perfect as possible but I enjoy working on projects and certainly have the time. Any thoughts?

If you have the time, desire,and ability, do it. Often these projects end up being less than estimated. Could go the other way of course. Be prepared for some heavy lifting. I look at it this way. I don't like to work out or jog, but I do enjoy working on the boat. So there's more to it than $$.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

another great lie.

Broker thinks $20,000 to get her fixed up.

The checks in the mail.

I have a few others that may not be appreciated here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If you have a soft forward deck, you could be looking at more than 20K for it alone.

Bobk

Sounds like you should offer 10-20k?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

The question is how much is your time worth? Not in dollars or cents but if you knew todat that you have x years to walk the earth do you really want to spend in in some hot dusty end of the world boat yard breathing overspray and dust from the boat next to you?

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976