Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1980 42' LRC - Anybody familiar with this boat?

Yachtworld has a 42 LRC listed. I can't post link yet because of forum restrictions.
    I am in the market for a live aboard, cruise the Caribbean type and was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to view this boat. It seems well equipped and reasonably priced. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: 1980 42' LRC - Anybody familiar with this boat?

I knew her when she was a well found and beloved member of the Hatteras group. Not so much now. Couple of members of the Hatteras LRC club have seen her more recently after 6-7 years in FL on the hard. Rumor has it the Lady sold a few months ago for the yard fee.
    The 42 LRC are a great boat to live on and cruise the Islands.
    HatterasLRC.com

Skooch

Thanks for the response. I have read nearly 700 threads in this forum so far and I'm thourouly convinced a Hatteras is the boat for me. And a LRC seems to offer what interests me, economy, comfort, independence, quality and versatility. I'm not a speed demon so the journey is what matters.

If assume the boat was well cared for based on your comments. I wonder how much she has fallen into disrepair sitting in the yard for so long. I plan on taking a trip to go see for myself. Can you tell me anything in particular I should be looking for? If it checks out, I will have a survey on the boat and the motors. I'll need a recommendation for both.

This forum is amazing and the knowledge base is priceless. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    Thanks for the response. I have read nearly 700 threads in this forum so far and I'm thourouly convinced a Hatteras is the boat for me. And a LRC seems to offer what interests me, economy, comfort, independence, quality and versatility. I'm not a speed demon so the journey is what matters.

If assume the boat was well cared for based on your comments. I wonder how much she has fallen into disrepair sitting in the yard for so long. I plan on taking a trip to go see for myself. Can you tell me anything in particular I should be looking for? If it checks out, I will have a survey on the boat and the motors. I'll need a recommendation for both.

This forum is amazing and the knowledge base is priceless. Thanks for your help.
    Look for moisture/de-lamination in the deck and superstructure, especially fore deck and anywhere there's hardware in upper decks.

If you decide you like the boat and are considering writing an offer, keep reading.

If the engine hasn't turned over in all those years it could use some TLC before attempting a start. Some cylinders may have been in contact with outside (salt) air. I would consider paying to have the cylinders scoped before starting...... Squirt some happy juice in the cylinders and manually turn the engine over. Hope no rings are sticking....Call it a pre-survey, worth a few hours of T&M.

If it passes that the same tech can do the engine survey after she splashes.
    Last edited by oscarvan; 01-12-2016 at 11:08 AM.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-12-2016 at 05:30 PM.

This one looks to be in better shape? http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/5395649390.html
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    This one looks to be in better shape? http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa/5395649390.html

I would hope so it is double the price?
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

It's going to take double the price to get the first one seaworthy IMHO. Been there done that

LRC's tend to be priced much higher than similar year hatteras. Some may say "overpriced"...especially with cheap diesel??
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

LRC's and other passage makers are a different breed of boat. I have been on a bunch and find them interesting but not my cup of tea. I like the solid construction and the seaworthiness but the ride and limited speed just don't excite me.

A customer Had a 40' Nordy that I thought was cute and confining. Almost claustrophobic. Another has a 58 Northern that I find more comfortable but ride although safe is just a slow bounce and roll even with stabilizers.

If you want the LRC for what its made for its a good boat. If you buy one because you think its a deal but really wanted a MY or convertible your in for some surprises.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.