Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Drones

Drones

Like Rsmith I would like to know what the learning curve is like to fly a drone.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Re: Drones

We've transitioned from radio controlled single-rotor helicopters to the newer quad-copter drones the past couple of years. The technology is definitely improving and the drones are getting much easier to learn to operate. The battery life and crash-worthiness are also much better, but IMHO the biggest break-through has been in the controller. Instead of a battery-hungry traditional radio-control unit with a couple of sticks (up-down, right-left, etc), you now just download a free app on your smart-phone. They've automated the most difficult phases of flight (take-offs and landing) so that you literally just touch a "take-off" button and the drone will effortlessly fly up about 4 feet into the air where you can then learn to slowly maneuver by gentle touches on the screen of your phone. If you get into trouble while you are flying around, your just take your fingers off the screen and it will stabilize and stop its motion in any direction immediately. Similar to the "takeoff", after you learn to maneuver around a bit, you can just touch a "land" button and it will perfectly settle on the ground. Another benefit of the smart phone app, is that the camera on the drone is projected on your smart phone screen while you are flying, which is seriously cool, and you can snap pictures or video from there. It had not even occurred to me to use this for getting cool pics of the Hatteras, but I'm definitely going to give that a try next week!!
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

That is really cool!

I am looking forward to some pictures of your boat.

Jonathan

We just purchased the 3DR solo for our GoPro from Best Buy yesterday. The Hubster, who is a professional helicopter pilot, and spent his entire life flying RC aircraft says it practically flies itself. He's not kidding. It is so smooth and intuitive even I can do it without any training. It has a built in memory, and returns itself to its starting GPS location as the battery power gets low. This could be an issue if you are using it to capture action shots while underway! But what is great, you could be underway, bring the camera up behind you, and it will follow you on its own. They are also the only manufacturer who if, your drone develops a mind of its own and suddenly takes off in the wrong direction (an issue with all models, I hear), they will replace the unit for free after confirming (through the transmitter software) that it was a product glitch, not operator error.

While in the store, we spoke to another customer who received the same model for Xmas. He had never flown anything RC or otherwise in his life, and said he was " a pro" at it in an afternoon. Absolutely loves the thing.

They are not cheap. The 3DR is sold separately from the necessary gimble, and requires a GoPro or similar camera in addition. I think we spent about $1300 on the whole kit, including protective case, after a price matching 20% discount. That does not include the cost of the GoPro. There is another manufacturer, DJI which is about $1300, all inclusive including its own off-brand camera.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet red View Post
    We just purchased the 3DR solo for our GoPro from Best Buy yesterday. The Hubster, who is a professional helicopter pilot, and spent his entire life flying RC aircraft says it practically flies itself. He's not kidding. It is so smooth and intuitive even I can do it without any training. It has a built in memory, and returns itself to its starting GPS location as the battery power gets low. This could be an issue if you are using it to capture action shots while underway! But what is great, you could be underway, bring the camera up behind you, and it will follow you on its own. They are also the only manufacturer who if, your drone develops a mind of its own and suddenly takes off in the wrong direction (an issue with all models, I hear), they will replace the unit for free after confirming (through the transmitter software) that it was a product glitch, not operator error.

While in the store, we spoke to another customer who received the same model for Xmas. He had never flown anything RC or otherwise in his life, and said he was " a pro" at it in an afternoon. Absolutely loves the thing.

They are not cheap. The 3DR is sold separately from the necessary gimble, and requires a GoPro or similar camera in addition. I think we spent about $1300 on the whole kit, including protective case, after a price matching 20% discount. That does not include the cost of the GoPro. There is another manufacturer, DJI which is about $1300, all inclusive including its own off-brand camera.
    That sounds like a big step up from the unit we have (and sounds incredible!!). If someone wants to "dip their toe in the water" a little less expensively, the "entry level" unit we have is about $250 (including the camera). The app to control from your smart phone is free. http://ardrone2.parrot.com/ I have to admit that the one you referred to above is probably a much better option if the $$ are ok, and using it as a "chase plane" for the Hatt would be much more advantageous.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I'm on my 4th quad. I say start small and get the feel for the flight pattern and control of the transmitter. Now with the accelerometer (sp), GPS, FPV, return to home and other add ons. They are really easy to fly. Now why pay a company for photos when you can position your quad and snap a pic or video. The cameras are now 1080HD or even 4K. Pics can be crop. The new FAA rule sucks but it's also because of irresponsible flyers being careless. Make sure when you upgrade, get a quad that has a gimbal. The video wont be all shakey and sorts. I recommend them but please be responsible.

I've been looking at drone/cameras for a few years. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Then I saw this: https://www.lily.camera/ which looks really cool!
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I've been looking at drone/cameras for a few years. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Then I saw this: https://www.lily.camera/ which looks really cool!
    Doesn't get easier. And waterproof too!
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    Doesn't get easier. And waterproof too!
    Wonder if it floats......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay