Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Air Horns

Red face Air Horns

Seems that everytime I go to take the boat out I have to re-adjust the air horns (unlawful to cruise without proper sounding device). They adjust by loosening the collar nut on the "funnel" and then screwing the funnel in or out (while wife is pressing switch). I don't know if changes in temprature, humidity, or whatever demons affect this situation, but it's getting to be a nusance (and embarassing at the marina while trying to adjust them). While it's nice of Hatty to provide expensive air horns I am not sure if I would be better off which cheap electric horns. Is there some other way to adjusting this device or at least making it last for awhile?

Thanks,
    (Nobody You Know)

2. Re: Air Horns

Yeah - the diaphrams are bad - get new ones.

Now the problem becomes doing that - I've tried to source them without success. If you find a source, let me know.

(PS: One solution is to screw ONE of them in all the way, shutting off the air. THen the other one will work much more reliably. Not ideal - but it works - you just lose the "dual tone" this way.)

Re: Air Horns

Buy tha AFI dual air horns. they are inexpensive and never give a problem and they are LOUD . After 5 to 7 years the chrome starts to go. Then junk them and buy another pair. They can be mounted into the base for the Fiamm horns so the existing holes can be used. Do not waste time on the Fiamms the parts are not made anymore and they are always a pain.
    I have replaced many this way and have always had happy people.

A few thoughts: Fiamm still makes horns, although not for boats. I think the Fiamm horns were sold through Raritan, who may be able to tell you how to get replacement parts for them. Raritan Inc is still in business, in New Jersey, and are pretty easy to talk with.
    Better horns (although I have not had a lot of problems with my Fiamm horns) are available from Buell (not the motorcycle people) and Kahlenberg. Some of them are in the Defender catalog. Also, Sam's had some leftover horns in their stock not too long ago- they may still have them. They may also have some Fiamm/Raritan parts, but chances are not that great. Good luck with this.

5. Re: Air Horns

Kahlenberg eh? Those guys make train horns! You may need a high-pressure compressor for those.....

I'd just fix them if you can find parts. My 28 year old original air horns still work great with zero maintenance, and they definitely blast everybody within earshot.

Doug Shuman

The Buell and Kahlenberg horns are great. But they are 1000.00 more and the chrome does not last any longer. Plus you need the air tank and plumbing. On the plus side you have a air supply for blowing up stuff or for the Hynautic resevoirs. You might even loose speed when you blow them! PS I spent hours trying to get Fiamm parts for someone, even Fiamm said they were NLA.....

my horn are air operated, original afaik. solenoid valve send air from the port engine compressor/air tank.

only maintenance, once in a while, usually after period of heavy rain, is to open the back cover (unscrews) and pull, wipe the metal disc that vibrates when air blasts thru.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My boat has Kahlenberg horns, thanks to a previous owner. Boy are they loud. So loud in fact that anyone on the forward deck needs to be warned before blasting them. So far I have not had any problems with them.

My previous Hat (1980 43 DC), had the original horns and even now with NO maintainance, the present owner says they still work great. This really surprises me as they are mounted on the trunk cabin horizontally where they are subjected to constant abuse from spray, rain and summer baking. With that kind of reliability I would try any source possible to get similar replacements when they finally give up the ghost. As was previously stated, Kahlenbergs are great but very expensive and I probably wouldn't pay the premium.

Walt

I have the secret address and phone number at my shop for the original horns.
    I will post it tomorrow.
    JW