Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Newbie looking for 52-58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    C'mon Saltshaker! I have NEVER tried to insult you or anyone else. Nor would I! In your case, you have decades of experience and knowledge. You have built a network of people you trust to do repairs at a fair price in YOUR AREA, and obviously, have the ability to make do it yourself repairs, ...which is something a New Buyer might not have. Think about THAT GUY!

I know many of you disagree with my "total restoration philosophy". Many of you are RIGHT, depending on your individual knowledge and expertise. My assumptions are based totally on a New Boat comparison. If Hatteras built a factory new 53 Motor Yacht today, that price tag would come close to $3.5 Million. Agreed?

I'm just trying to make the point, the you CAN take good old 53, put it in a quality yard for 8 months to a year, and essentially "remanufacture" it to "new" for about $750,000 in today's dollars...which still comes to only 20% of a comparable NEW BOAT PRICE! Let your admiral pick out your colors and décor and turn the key. I think it's the most fun way to do it, provided only the best people are hired to do the work! It doesn't make me an idiot!

With depreciation percentages being equal, and the cost of maintenance and ownership to the highest level being the same, a 3 year old " totally remanufactured" 53 would be worth about $350,000 or a loss of $350,000 after 3 years...VS a New Boat for $3.5 Million that 3 years later is worth $1.7 Million, or an actual loss of $1.8 Million.

Bottom Line...IN MY HUMBLE OPINION...The ONLY smart buy for a "Newbie" buyer is the most perfect, "like new" "survey correct" 53 you can find...for the smallest actual eventual loss at the end of the day. Nobody comes out of this alive! Many of you have made excellent points here, while others like "boatsb" only know how to put down and insult others.
    I like the idea, and I will have to pretty much agree with the economics of it, but.................the reason you don't see this done is because the recon 53 could not be leveraged. The owner would have to be willing and able to front the cash for such a project. Its been said before that those who are able to cough up that much cash would rather buy the new $3.5M new boat and finance it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't see a new 53 my going for $3.5m. Maybe $1.5m, so the math is definitely different. If you can show me the prices on a new 53 Hatt I'd be interested in seeing how close my estimate is.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A new 54GT will run 2.5 million nicely outfitted with the bigger C32 Cats. A new Prestige 55 goes for around 1.3 million and they are about as cheap as can be. My neighbor bought one. Makes a Carver look like a Hatteras in build and system quality
    Last edited by saltshaker; 01-06-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    A new 54GT will run 2.5 million nicely outfitted with the bigger C32 Cats
    That's my point. The my usually does not have all the engine and gear upgrades. I'm thinking the 50 or so my is 1.5 or so. Not 3.5

Unless we're using pizzadollars again.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I'm always amazed at how much some of the MYs cost compared to a similar sized SF. Often not that much less with much less expensive power and running gear. Huge difference in cost between a pair of 715HP QSM11 and a pair of 1600HP C32. Both common in MY and SF in this size range
    Jack Sardina

Look at comparable quality of components and systems. A 57 Marlow with twin 1000hp Cats, isolation/boost transformers, stabilizers, bow and stern thruster, chilled water a/c, dual gensets, dual inverters, etc is around $2.5M new. So the 3.5 is off but the point is still made.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Look at comparable quality of components and systems. A 57 Marlow with twin 1000hp Cats, isolation/boost transformers, stabilizers, bow and stern thruster, chilled water a/c, dual gensets, dual inverters, etc is around $2.5M new. So the 3.5 is off but the point is still made.
    I was thinking of a Marlow as a comparison but had no idea what they cost. I do remember looking at one at one of the boat shows back when they first came out. Price was very good for what was there. I figured 2.5 was about right for a high quality mid 50s MY. What's amazing is the cost of the cheap boats isn't always that much less
    Jack Sardina

I agree that Pizzaz makes a good point, but like was stated above probably most people who put up $700 grand in cash would buy a new 2.5 - 3 Mil boat instead. It doesn't make economic sense to me however to lose about half of the new boat cost within the first few years (probably 4 or 5) when it would actually save close to a million bucks even if the rehabbed boat wouldn't be worth anything, which of course it would be. As far as warranty is concerned, if the 30 yr old Hatt was in fact completely redone correctly by a yard like Tom Slanes or similiar with ALL new systems, I believe most of the new equipment would carry their own warranty. Perhaps the restoration yard would be willing to offer a bow to stern warranty (for a price) as well. We all know that the classic Hatts are bullet proof, so what can be so bad?

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    Jim,

I went on BoatDiesel.com and asked this question. The answer I got for a ballpark number to start was about $4000 per cylinder. This was for an in-frame rebuild.

Jonathan
    There are rebuilds and there are rebuilds. Just put pistons and liners is one thing but to do a complete job is another bucket of bucks. When you start adding heads,turbos,starters,genorator ,waterpumps, injectors and blower rebuild on and on the bucks roll.....I am speaking from experience. Eaven if all the above is working best to be sure they are in good shape or you will be back in the ER soon.
    That 4000 figure will take car of pistons ,heads,injectors and in frame bearings after that the number will grow.

I WISH Hatteras would build a single engine SF boat without all the thrills.Just a basic SF no need for granit tons of back up systems on and on. Capable of about a 30 knot cruise. New out the door about or below the million mark. It would blow the doors off the custom boys. I would order one in the morning. Or at least if Freebird or Scott would co sign or make a loan.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 01-07-2016 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    There are rebuilds and there are rebuilds. Just put pistons and liners is one thing but to do a complete job is another bucket of bucks. When you start adding heads,turbos,starters,genorator ,waterpumps, injectors and blower rebuild on and on the bucks roll.....I am speaking from experience. Eaven if all the above is working best to be sure they are in good shape or you will be back in the ER soon.
    That 4000 figure will take car of pistons ,heads,injectors and in frame bearings after that the number will grow.

I WISH Hatteras would build a single engine SF boat without all the thrills.Just a basic SF no need for granit tons of back up systems on and on. Capable of about a 30 knot cruise. New out the door about or below the million mark. It would blow the doors off the custom boys. I would order one in the morning. Or at least if Freebird or Scott would co sign or make a loan.
    If I remember correctly you paid $56K to do both 8V92TAs in your 52C right? Knowing you and being that the work was done by Western Branch Diesel I figured it was a thorough comprehensive rebuild. That would put you at $3.5K per hole.
    Jack Sardina