Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Newbie looking for 52-58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    I just happen to be one of those guys who admittedly goes overboard in the pursuit of "perfect". To consider a rebuild, I want everything renewed from the cooling system, to the exhausts, to the heat exchangers, starters and water pumps, to new hoses and clamps whether needed or not. The WORKS...not just the overhaul. The whole premise being to renew "everything" to "NEW" condition. Not just what it "needs".
    Well, if you know that going in there will be very few surprises.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Follow the market. Pizzadollars =2.5 US today.

I wonder what the market will do next year.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Actually... my 58 Hatteras Yacht Fish PIZZAZ eventually closed at $260K...which was a steal for her buyer back then. 980 original hours. The survey and engine surveys were flawless. Her physical condition was one of a kind factory new in every respect. 3 years and 700 hours later, her new owner has yet to need a major repair on any component. NOT APPLES TO APPLES! This thread was about what it COULD cost a newbie in a major yard in South Florida, not "how cheap I can do it".

I just happen to be one of those guys who admittedly goes overboard in the pursuit of "perfect". To consider a rebuild, I want everything renewed from the cooling system, to the exhausts, to the heat exchangers, starters and water pumps, to new hoses and clamps whether needed or not. The WORKS...not just the overhaul. The whole premise being to renew "everything" to "NEW" condition. Not just what it "needs".

We're looking at things from 2 different perspectives.
    Far be it for me to tell someone they are wrong, but from my experience, new is not better than something that is working. I've seen far too many brand new things fail. If I rebuild a motor, I have no issue going forward with a used alternator or starter. In fact there's a good chance I'll trust that part more. Just because a part is brand new does not entitle it to the confidence of reliability.

But considering your approach, the flaw would be to find yourself going to those lengths without walking away with a warranty. You'd better be holding one, or you're doing things wrong....

... This thread was about what it COULD cost a newbie in a major yard in South Florida, not "how cheap I can do it".

We're looking at things from 2 different perspectives.
    I didn't see that in this thread in fact he never even mentioned location and never said he wanted to pay the most or least. 60K to rebuild a pair of 8V92TAs would not be cheap either in cost or work performed. A comprehensive rebuild would include most of what you mentioned for that 60K. Paying more doesn't mean you got a better rebuild and paying less doesn't make the work cheap. It makes the owner smarter in my opinion. My mechanic is very reasonable but I use him because of his expertise and quality of work. I could pay much more but I doubt I'd get a better job.

As for looking at things in two perspectives I find this a bit insulting. You assume we are cheap and not doing things right because we don't overpay. I work hard for what I have and find no reason to waste it foolishly. I like things to be done right but I don't like being ripped off or overcharged. Any fool can pay top price but it takes some thought to find exceptional work and service for a fair price. Many of us here have had rebuilds done and a few here do it professionally. From your prior post you mention your boat having original hours. Have you ever done a rebuild on a pair of Detroits and if so how long ago was that? 60k is a very reasonable number not a cheap one. You definitely could get it done for less or more but the OP was asking if 60K was a reasonable estimate to use in his buying process. The over inflated service cost is a major factor in the deflated prices and demand for older boats.
    Jack Sardina

You are correct Jack, I am trying to understand the relative value of purchasing an otherwise solid boat but
    with either run out or high time engines versus lower time power plants where the seller believes value remains. I think either can be good purchase if the real value is reflected in the price.

On a related topic, does the forum share info on good mechanics? I get the sense that perhaps this info is kept private so as not to impact the rates of the referring party. I know that geography plays a role, but these assets are portable.

I own an aircraft, and I can tell you that pilots share this type of info regularly. Not only to help out their compatriots but also to reward and encourage the service folks who do a good job at a fair price.

Don't buy a boat in need of major overhauls unless your planning on a lot of work and time to do it. While your in there there's generators and lots of other systems to go over.

It also depends on your use of the boat. Some People put 20 hours a year on the water and 30 more at the dock. Others run offshore fishing 200 hours a year. Most of us are in between.

If the engines have another 1000 hours of running left in them it could equate to 20 years of light use or 3 seasons of cruising /fishing.

As for good mechanic 's let us know your location and someone should speak up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Most of us will publicly share info on good experiences, mechanics and otherwise. Bad experiences get shared by PMs or emails, for obvious reasons.

Isn't the crux of the matter 'caveat empter'. The engines could run longer than average or the could have a problem that is not being disclosed. Perhaps they were overheated, or some intermittent problem that isn't presenting on the inspection. Maybe the stabilizers are in need of overhaul, but you have to on the hook for a while to hear the grinding.

So one is trying to base a decision of several hundred thousand dollars on an inspection and the word of the seller. Wouldn' it be more prudent to discount the representations and just reflect the rebuild in the purchase price?

How much did these sell for new back in the late 80's?

C'mon Saltshaker! I have NEVER tried to insult you or anyone else. Nor would I! In your case, you have decades of experience and knowledge. You have built a network of people you trust to do repairs at a fair price in YOUR AREA, and obviously, have the ability to make do it yourself repairs, ...which is something a New Buyer might not have. Think about THAT GUY!

I know many of you disagree with my "total restoration philosophy". Many of you are RIGHT, depending on your individual knowledge and expertise. My assumptions are based totally on a New Boat comparison. If Hatteras built a factory new 53 Motor Yacht today, that price tag would come close to $3.5 Million. Agreed?

I'm just trying to make the point, the you CAN take good old 53, put it in a quality yard for 8 months to a year, and essentially "remanufacture" it to "new" for about $750,000 in today's dollars...which still comes to only 20% of a comparable NEW BOAT PRICE! Let your admiral pick out your colors and décor and turn the key. I think it's the most fun way to do it, provided only the best people are hired to do the work! It doesn't make me an idiot!

With depreciation percentages being equal, and the cost of maintenance and ownership to the highest level being the same, a 3 year old " totally remanufactured" 53 would be worth about $350,000 or a loss of $350,000 after 3 years...VS a New Boat for $3.5 Million that 3 years later is worth $1.7 Million, or an actual loss of $1.8 Million.

Bottom Line...IN MY HUMBLE OPINION...The ONLY smart buy for a "Newbie" buyer is the most perfect, "like new" "survey correct" 53 you can find...for the smallest actual eventual loss at the end of the day. Nobody comes out of this alive! Many of you have made excellent points here, while others like "boatsb" only know how to put down and insult others.