Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Newbie looking for 52-58 MY

HI Jack...we are planing on going to NJ this coming summer and need to find a slip for a few months ....do you know of a nice Marina "preferably with floating docks" from the Toms River area north that we can stay ...our draft is 5' on our 56' MY ...we have lots of family in NJ and want to take a nice cruise with our boat....thanks

Joe
    1981 56' MY
    Lake Gloria II

WELCOME Chasemmc!

Just to get your quotes straight...the 892 rebuilds (complete including tranny's, new cutlass bearings, engine alignments and new everything) will get closer to $60,000 per engine...not the pair. ...And Especially for being Newbie...DON'T BUY A FIXER UPPER of ANY KIND! PERIOD. Spend the $250,000 for the nicest, most survey correct 53 you can find on the planet. You'll be glad you did later. Your full risk insurance policy for a boat with a correct survey will run about $6500 for the year if you plan on cruising south.

Best of Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    WELCOME Chasemmc!

Just to get your quotes straight...the 892 rebuilds (complete including tranny's, new cutlass bearings, engine alignments and new everything) will get closer to $60,000 per engine...not the pair. ...And Especially for being Newbie...DON'T BUY A FIXER UPPER of ANY KIND! PERIOD. Spend the $250,000 for the nicest, most survey correct 53 you can find on the planet. You'll be glad you did later. Your full risk insurance policy for a boat with a correct survey will run about $6500 for the year if you plan on cruising south.

Best of Luck!

I need to start doing work for you. That's ok as far as finding the yard that caters to the rich and crazy but I repowered a 42 hatt with cummins 450c and Transmissions for less than that.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    WELCOME Chasemmc!

Best of Luck!
    Anyone who spends 120K to rebuild a pair of 8V92s should be institutionalized. Why would you rebuild the trannies if they don't need it? Most good ones will make it through 3 engine rebuilds if they are cared for. My mechanic did an 8v92TA for my neighbor. The engine had to come out of the boat since the crank was bad. 32K for a very extensive rebuild with the added cost of getting the engine out and back in to a very tight ER.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I need to start doing work for you. That's ok as far as finding the yard that caters to the rich and crazy but I repowered a 42 hatt with cummins 450c and Transmissions for less than that.
    I agree. If someone tried to sell me a $60k rebuild, I'd opt to repower with warranties and sell the old units for parts. That's just insane.

We need to work the cost out in pizzadollars. Remember his boat first listed for $599 or so and sold for about $200. That's 3 pizzadollars to a us dollar by my math.

So 120/ 3 = 40 or about $20k per engine.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There are 8v71N remans going for $16k plus core,$4k for trans and a $10k remove/install per motor and not changing shafts etc. I was told $3k +\- per hole is normal for in hull rebuilds.

Pizzadollars.... I like it. So... buy in PZ$s and sell in USD.. or do I have it backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Anyone who spends 120K to rebuild a pair of 8V92s should be institutionalized. Why would you rebuild the trannies if they don't need it? Most good ones will make it through 3 engine rebuilds if they are cared for. My mechanic did an 8v92TA for my neighbor. The engine had to come out of the boat since the crank was bad. 32K for a very extensive rebuild with the added cost of getting the engine out and back in to a very tight ER.
    Double ditto!! Or I want the job.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Actually... my 58 Hatteras Yacht Fish PIZZAZ eventually closed at $260K...which was a steal for her buyer back then. 980 original hours. The survey and engine surveys were flawless. Her physical condition was one of a kind factory new in every respect. 3 years and 700 hours later, her new owner has yet to need a major repair on any component. NOT APPLES TO APPLES! This thread was about what it COULD cost a newbie in a major yard in South Florida, not "how cheap I can do it".

I just happen to be one of those guys who admittedly goes overboard in the pursuit of "perfect". To consider a rebuild, I want everything renewed from the cooling system, to the exhausts, to the heat exchangers, starters and water pumps, to new hoses and clamps whether needed or not. The WORKS...not just the overhaul. The whole premise being to renew "everything" to "NEW" condition. Not just what it "needs".

We're looking at things from 2 different perspectives.