Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Biggest Hatteras that could do Great Loop

Greetings from a new forum member!

Long time boater/sailor. We live in SE Florida and have a 80 foot dock.

We currently have a 37' Intrepid because we don't have enough free time to "go slow."
    I am retired but my wife plans to work for at least three more years. When she retires
    we plan to do some form of the Loop. we have discussed what type of boat we want
    to use and have settled on a motor yacht. Although the Loop is in the plans, I don't
    want to buy a boat for the Loop only. Ideally, we will hold onto the boat and continue
    to use it in the Bahamas and Caribbean as a base that our family can visit on vacation.
    For that reason, I'm looking for the largest Hatteras (or Burger) that would be practical
    for the Loop.

I'm aware of the fixed bridge issue South of Chicago and honestly, that portion of the route
    from Chicago is the least appealing to me. I would rather make a U turn at Chicago and head
    back around the Great Lakes seeing the Canadian side of the trip. I like the Hatteras and
    Burgers that I have seen in the 70-80 foot range. I realize their size imposes some limitations,
    but they have tenders that would theoretically allow more access.

Looking for opinions, suggestions from those with larger Hatteras. Do you wish you had a
    smaller boat? Is the the added size worth the additional expense/hassle. I'm looking at
    options and figure I have at least a year to research the boats and the market. I want to
    purchase the boat at least a year before my wife's retirement, so I can get issues sorted
    out before hand. I'm a sailor, so I don't care about speed. An aft cockpit is a must as we
    are divers and won't have a boat that is not easy to board with diving gear.

Thanks!

Re: Biggest Hatteras that could do Great Loop

Controlling height is about 22', by taking the Oswego canal, 17' by Lake Champlain, 15' by western Erie canal.

I agree, having lived in Chicagoland, I can think of few boating related things I'd rather not do than the Illinois River after having been on it in small outboard boats.

One thing to consider is hanging a right, not a left when you get to the Great Lakes and doing the "Downeast Loop" out the St.Lawrence and clockwise from there. Did a chunk of it with a friend who had a 42 LRC, saw his pics of the rest; way mo' better IMO.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Some very big boats make it to the lakes. Key is being able to drop your overhead clearance. Many of the big boats have hydraulic arches and motorized antennas to keep things low.I've seen plenty of boats in the 100ft+ range on the canals.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Some very big boats make it to the lakes. Key is being able to drop your overhead clearance. Many of the big boats have hydraulic arches and motorized antennas to keep things low.I've seen plenty of boats in the 100ft+ range on the canals.
    1000ft freighters do it. You just have to pick the proper route.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    1000ft freighters do it. You just have to pick the proper route.
    But they don't go down the canals. I think most of the big boats in the Great lakes and 1000 Islands come up the Hudson and through the Erie. Wish I could still do that trip.
    Jack Sardina

I guess I'm thinking about 58 to 80 feet. I'm not interested in a mega yacht

I need more research on the St. Lawrence option. I expect that the route out of the St Lawrence, South is open ocean and could be rough. How well would such a vessel handle the open ocean? Assume that anything I am getting has functional stabilizers.

I want to cruise the Great Lakes, having spent many Summer's at Lake Michigan. I just feel like there is plenty to see touring the Lakes and that missing the route South from Chicage wouldn't be a huge loss.

Welcome to the HOF.

Even though you won't do the loop, the loopers association might be a good source of information.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Controlling height is about 22', by taking the Oswego canal, 17' by Lake Champlain, 15' by western Erie canal.
    The lowest bridge you'll have to clear if you do the loop is the BN/SF railroad bridge at 19.1' on the Illinois Waterway near Lemont, IL.
    Blaine
    1992 43C - "Journey"
    Pace, FL

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Welcome to the HOF.

Even though you won't do the loop, the loopers association might be a good source of information.

Bobk
    x2 on Looper Assoc + MTOA. For journeys, those folks know it, have seen it, and done it ... many several times. Also great support along the way. (long time sailor and power here too.)

If you cancel doing the Illinois, you'll need to decide which other waterways you do want to do. The Trent Severn is a spectacular route, so if you do the Hudson River, the Erie Canal to the Oswego Canal you have made the Great Lakes. We did both the Trent Severn and the Welland Canal in a 53MY with a folding arch. The Welland can take anything but check the Trent Severn for draft as well as height. I believe 5 ft. is OK and 6 ft. requires a waiver.

Lots of great stuff on the Great Lakes. The North Channel and the Georgian Bay are not to be missed.