Greetings from a new forum member!

Long time boater/sailor. We live in SE Florida and have a 80 foot dock.

We currently have a 37' Intrepid because we don't have enough free time to "go slow."
I am retired but my wife plans to work for at least three more years. When she retires
we plan to do some form of the Loop. we have discussed what type of boat we want
to use and have settled on a motor yacht. Although the Loop is in the plans, I don't
want to buy a boat for the Loop only. Ideally, we will hold onto the boat and continue
to use it in the Bahamas and Caribbean as a base that our family can visit on vacation.
For that reason, I'm looking for the largest Hatteras (or Burger) that would be practical
for the Loop.

I'm aware of the fixed bridge issue South of Chicago and honestly, that portion of the route
from Chicago is the least appealing to me. I would rather make a U turn at Chicago and head
back around the Great Lakes seeing the Canadian side of the trip. I like the Hatteras and
Burgers that I have seen in the 70-80 foot range. I realize their size imposes some limitations,
but they have tenders that would theoretically allow more access.

Looking for opinions, suggestions from those with larger Hatteras. Do you wish you had a
smaller boat? Is the the added size worth the additional expense/hassle. I'm looking at
options and figure I have at least a year to research the boats and the market. I want to
purchase the boat at least a year before my wife's retirement, so I can get issues sorted
out before hand. I'm a sailor, so I don't care about speed. An aft cockpit is a must as we
are divers and won't have a boat that is not easy to board with diving gear.

Thanks!