Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Hatteras Stainless 30 degree rod holders

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Got any pictures of someone doing stand-up with a 130 on a bent butt?
    We don't fish anything bigger than 2 speed 80's. With the right stand up harness 80's are no problem. With the new lines you can run smaller reels with modified drags that have the same stopping power and line capacity as all those big heavy doorstops. IMHO the only place for those big old reels is in seafood reastuants for decorations.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

This is a typical spread we run. Most of the lines are clipped or held down with rubber bands. The key to a battle with large fish is keeping the cockpit simple and uncluttered. Not on the pic is the shotgun rig I run from the bridge to the center rigger. I run a Hawian eye with a big Bally on it.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

i was taught that bent butts were for the chair and straight were for stand up. at least thats the way we did it on my boat

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i was taught that bent butts were for the chair and straight were for stand up. at least thats the way we did it on my boat
    Not today. We have bent buts that are designed for stand up. The harness and belt have drop straps that puts the gimbal between your knees and waist. Let's you use your leg muscles instead of your shoulders and back. There was a lady angler named Marsha Bierman and her husband that pioneered the evolution of this new stand up fishing. I believe they were Hatteras owners.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    We don't fish anything bigger than 2 speed 80's. With the right stand up harness 80's are no problem. With the new lines you can run smaller reels with modified drags that have the same stopping power and line capacity as all those big heavy doorstops. IMHO the only place for those big old reels is in seafood reastuants for decorations.
    So you guys are running drag up in the 25-30 lb range and fighting a fish for 2+ hrs doing standup?
    BFT and Swords don't land in 30 mins.

And don't share the rod you start the job you finish the job
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

We've put our share of big tuna and swords on the boat. And yeah I put 3hours and 10 min on a 313lb bigeye with old style gear is was a 50 though and I was in my 20's. I've never had a sword fight more than 45 min. Any longer than that the hook usually works loose because their mouths are soft.
    Attached Images

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    So you guys are running drag up in the 25-30 lb range and fighting a fish for 2+ hrs doing standup?
    BFT and Swords don't land in 30 mins.

And don't share the rod you start the job you finish the job
    After landing a 380 lb big eye on stand up I became the master and had students on the rod. Back breaking work is for the young and dumb. I'll run the boat and handle the gaff but being the muscle is no longer fun.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    After landing a 380 lb big eye on stand up I became the master and had students on the rod. Back breaking work is for the young and dumb. I'll run the boat and handle the gaff but being the muscle is no longer fun.
    Forget the gaff at that size. Anything much north of 150 gets the poon on my boat. The eyeball pic I put up earlier in the thread was about 225 or so. I posed for the pic, but my young strong buddy landed the fish (in about 20 min, btw). The "Scourge of the Sea" poon took care of the end game. We got lucky on the shot and spined it - went limp immediately, and never even went into the death throes.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Forget the gaff at that size. Anything much north of 150 gets the poon on my boat. The eyeball pic I put up earlier in the thread was about 225 or so. I posed for the pic, but my young strong buddy landed the fish (in about 20 min, btw). The "Scourge of the Sea" poon took care of the end game. We got lucky on the shot and spined it - went limp immediately, and never even went into the death throes.
    Fly gaffed it in the side of the head. It still pulled the boat for 5 minutes. We had a hell of a time getting it aboard. Only 2 of us on a 25 mako.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Longest fight I've ever seen was on Bob Zane's 45 Misty. We hooked up just Inshore of the Poor Mans canyon off OC Md about 3 in the afternoon when we were just wrapping up. 1pm the next day we finally broke off never saw the fish other than a big splash when it hit the flat line. And yes the rod was shared by 5 different guys for multiple hours each. The first guy on the rod big tony who had hands like base ball mits and arms as big around as my thighs fought for 9 hours before he handed over the rod to the next guy. By the time it was over we had backed down over 28 miles and we're almost down to the Washington canyon.
    Mystery fish just plain suck! You spend your life wondering what it was.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976