Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Older Advertising

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    1985 the first fiberglass yacht? That has to be a typo. I was sailing plastic in the early 70's
    Knit Wits was the first fiberglass boat that was built by Willis Slane. Hatteras found it and restored it for the 1985 boat show. It was originally launched in 1960.
    Blaine
    1992 43C - "Journey"
    Pace, FL

That sounds better..... reminds me of AX201...... lets see if someone gets that one. DAMN you google.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    That sounds better..... reminds me of AX201...... lets see if someone gets that one. DAMN you google.
    If you're going to buy a Hatteras, you need to brush up on the history

http://www.samsmarine.com/HatterasSt...terasStory.htm
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Blaine Thorpe View Post
    Knit Wits was the first fiberglass boat that was built by Willis Slane. Hatteras found it and restored it for the 1985 boat show. It was originally launched in 1960.
    Was much later than 85! Some where in the late 90's or early 2000's Saw Knit Wits at the Lauderdale show.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you're going to buy a Hatteras, you need to brush up on the history

http://www.samsmarine.com/HatterasSt...terasStory.htm
    Been reading that. Thanks. Also got Hargrave's book. And Pascoe's "How to survey a fiberglass powerboat....."
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

After reading some of the posted Hatteras info, curious when they started using the resin infusion system for the hull lay-up as shown in a picture at the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
    After reading some of the posted Hatteras info, curious when they started using the resin infusion system for the hull lay-up as shown in a picture at the factory?
    Two major reasons for resin infusion. 1, it keeps styrene emissions to a minimum so EPA and OSHA are happier and employees are healthier, 2, it makes a better laminate.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Was much later than 85! Some where in the late 90's or early 2000's Saw Knit Wits at the Lauderdale show.
    I remember being at the Miami Show in 1985 and seeing Knit Wits (there is a reason I remember the year, although I had 86 in my head, seems confirmed here http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2013/1...fishing-yacht/)

There was subsequent engine room fire and it's been "redone" at least one time since and presented again at the show.
    Last edited by tellico; 12-30-2015 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    I remember being at the Miami Show in 1985 and seeing Knit Wits (there is a reason I remember the year, although I had 86 in my head, seems confirmed here http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2013/1...fishing-yacht/)

There was subsequent engine room fire and it's been "redone" at least one time since and presented again at the show.
    The article is dated 2013 the 85 was referenced by someone who posted a comment I am about positive their mistaken. I have the brochure on the Knitt Wit story back in Fla I can post it when I get back there. They might have aquired the boat in 85 but it was a wreck. The brochure referenced the 90's and I am pretty sure it was the '99 Lauderdale show it was first displayed.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

http://www.marinemax.com/brands/hatt...eras-knit-wits

25 years was 1960+ 25 = 1985.

Not aruging, but I was there. The paint was still drying ... lol.