Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Glendenning Syncs.

Pascal,

Mine has a synch switch with the little red light on the bridge. It's operates like a 3-way light switch so if you trun it on on the bridge, you have to switch it to what would normally be "on" at the lower helm to turn it back off.
    They might not be the same though, since Hatt changed the bridge controls in 77-78.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    i usually turn it on after i have the boat out of the slip, for a simple reason, i don't have switch on the FB to turn it on... there is an numarked switch i've been too lazy to trace which could be for the Glenn. but it's just as easy to turn it on after i rotated out and before i head upstairs. Otherwise, I've taught my 11 year old daughter which switches it it and a good yell normally result in imediate action on the switch :-)

I always accelerate gradually, 100rpm at a time and don't go over 1500 anyway.... so no risk of overloading the port engine! if i accelerate or decelerate faster there is a slight lag time which can be felt with the bow inching over one side mometarily, not even enough to compensate.

2. Re: Glendenning Syncs.

Its an amazingly simple device, really. The folks who designed it had a spate of pure genius that day......

Another thing to think about using the synch at low speed is , guess what happens if the slave engine cable breaks when synch is on. It will try to catch up and go wide open. Takes a second to realize what happens. I bring mine up together and have no problem synching them. After you run a boat for a while you can pretty much set the throttles with out looking. I find it much smoother and faster doing it manually, especially when passing in the waterway. Also around here the water is shallow and I want to get up on plane and not wallow around at the transition speed and drag bottom.

4. Re: Glendenning Syncs.

Yep-yep.

I have a feel for the boat and its power, and can give it just enough throttle - but no more - to load the engines to where they do not smoke, but accelerate smartly. With a bit of effort I can sync as good as the glendinning too (no "thrum-thrum" beat) but its easier to just snap it on once I'm where I want to be in terms of RPM.

I've had it stick on though - so I am veeeeery careful about using it if I might need to get off the throttle in a hurry. If you slap the master down it will take a few seconds before the slave responds, during which time you will yaw HARD from the differential thrust. That can be a bad surprise if it happens in the wrong circumstances.....

Never had one before and I now really like the synchronizer. Essentially, once I'm out of the marina but still idling up the channel in the no-wake area, I turn it on. It stays on until I am back where I need to maneuver with differential thrust. It is NOT good to have on if you need to go in/out of gear or use differential thrust from the props.

The yawing on fairly hard acceleration/deceleration surprised me the first time - I actually thought something was wrong with the boat until I realized that synching wasn't instantaneous. Now I automatically correct for it. I normally accelerate with it on. I never firewall the throttle anyway - just ease it up - I probably take 7-8 seconds to move the throttele from idle to full.

THe throttle return springs on our boat were set up by the previous owner specifically with the Sync in mind. The slave engine throttle will not stay in any position except idle or, if the sync is on, at full throttle. If you manually place it at say, 1500 RPM, it will drift back to idle in 10-15 seconds. This means that if the sync failed, I would have to physically hold or somehow secure the throttle lever where I want it (or go down and adjust the return-spring tension.). I have often thought of adjusting the return spring but it works so well that I approach it from the "why mess with success" aspect.

My return spring is quite tight. I have to push the slave to WOT position after turning on the sync. If I don't, it takes a while for the Glendenning to pull that slave linkage. Having the slave all the way forward also helps to remind me that the sync is turned on.

I've never owned a boat with a synchronizer on her either. At first I found myself questioning the true sychronization by carefully listening to the engines. I sure wish my friend had these on his 45 Cary with the 3 engines. I was always playing with that thing to sychronize those 3. I would get 2 of them running together, but that last one was always a problem.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

reminds me of a situation a friend found himself in a few years ago flying a twin engine Piper Aztec with syncro-phasors on the engines. one day he's flying along fat, dumb and happy with the sincs on, when he looses the left engine. Can you guess what the right one did too?

Sky,

Pushing the slave throttle to WOT is standard operating procedure for the Glendinning synch. It's what you're supposed to do.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY
    My return spring is quite tight. I have to push the slave to WOT position after turning on the sync. If I don't, it takes a while for the Glendenning to pull that slave linkage. Having the slave all the way forward also helps to remind me that the sync is turned on.

I've never owned a boat with a synchronizer on her either. At first I found myself questioning the true sychronization by carefully listening to the engines. I sure wish my friend had these on his 45 Cary with the 3 engines. I was always playing with that thing to sychronize those 3. I would get 2 of them running together, but that last one was always a problem.

Were syncs standard equipment on these boats? You all seem to have the same one but my boat does not have one. I think I have sync envy.....

newby question..... which is the master and which is the slave?
    Timothy Rogers
    1981 56' FDMY
    "Fun@Sea.Calm"