Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inverters

Inverters

Well you guys have convinced me that I should be running an inverter to save my generator hours. Now that my generator is fixed i'm going to purchase a 3000 watt inverter. The question is; Are you guys using the chopper type or the sine wave type? Either one should work. But have you ever run into a situation where you need a sine wave output. At the moment I don't know of anything on board that needs a sine wave to operate. The cost to make a sine wave unit is twice the money.

BILL

Re: Inverters

I really only use mine to run the fridge when I'm cruising and at night, plus maybe a laptop or cell phone charger. All my use would be OK with either. If your DC systems are set up to give you lights, heads, water pressure, etc. the genny gets lots of rest.

Doug

so far so good with modified sine wave... TVs, sat, fridge, lights (incl dimmers), stereo, etc...

the only things that seem to notice a difference is the microwave, wakes a different noise, and a fluo. light in the master head (buzzes a little).
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That is what I was thinking. The flo.lights and microwave both have transformers. You would expect them to sound different because of the chopping effect. I probably will be running the same thing as you two are. I don't spend much time on the hook. Now to decide which one to get.

Bill

5. Re: Inverters

3KW is a BIG inverter. Are you sure you need something that big? If you don't spend much time on the hook, perhaps you don't need one at all. But they are nice to have as they do provide a backup incase your genny has problems.

I figured
    micro wave 1750
    refrigerator 360
    stereo 350
    32in tv 450
    laptop 55
    vcr 350
    3315 watts
    These won't be running all at once all the time but they could be.This does not enclude lights or the tv in the bed room. With 6 people on board it could happen.

BILL

3000 watt Xantrex is a nice unit. I have had two hearts on previous boats, had some issues, but my 3K Xantrex is 4 years and still perfect. Nice feature is the power share where when you return to the dock, the 50 amp charger does not have to have a full 50 amps - you can adjust from 5 to 50 amps of power to go to the unit on the led remote panel. If it's hot and you would like some AC, and wife wants to do laundry, all of a sudden you have overloaded the dock power. This gives you some flexibility. You can fire up genny and go full 50 amps and charge back up quickly.
    I love my Inverter. Travel all the time with Inverter only.
    Tom

Caution:: I just bought a 58LRC and the owner had just replaced the refig with a new digital control refrig. It would not work on the inverter. We traded it for another new manual control refrig and all is OK

Sensitive electronics could be affected by the mod sine wave as well as your TV, VCR and laptop.

Bill

I have a Xantrex Freedom 30 with a Link 2000 remote unit. Not having an operable generator for the past year, the inverter has really been given a workout with Christmas Lighted Boat Parades, weekend anchor outs, etc. The thing is all but bullet proof. We run the refrigerator, coffee makers, microwaves, fluorescent lights, computers, TVs, etc. without problem. 4 - 12 volt 8D batteries also used for DC service and engine starting keep us going for up to two days with reasonable but not extravagant use. However, there are a few things to consider when installing one of these units.
    1. The Freedom 30 is designed so that it can transfer AC power sourcing to the inverter whenever another AC power source is unavailable. So if operating in that mode, it would overload in a situation like having the stove in use and loosing shore or generator power at the same time. (Mine is installed so that it only runs AC outlets, lights and the refrigerator).
    2. When an outside source of AC power becomes available, it automatically goes into charge mode. This has tripped shore breakers even with the power share capability.
    3. Be certain to put a battery disconnect switch between the inverter and batteries. Mine didn't have one when I bought the boat but it is definitely required. And, if you install a regular battery selector switch, you can direct it between battery banks. On the other hand, the Freedom 30 includes connections for two more batteries to charge on a trickle charge type arrangement in addition to the batteries directly connected to the unit.
    4. There are power surges when motors or heavy loads cycle. However I've not had problems with computers or TVs when connected through computer type UPSs.

As you probably know, an inverter is no substitute for a generator. However, the peace and tranquility one provides during periods of light electrical power needs cannot be overstated.

Good luck - Will