Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Insulation

Re: Insulation

Not professing to have done this in a boat, or whether it's a good idea to do so....

BUT.....

I have done this in a mobile (non marine) housing application (to call it an RV would not be doing it justice as it was a residential building, albeit portable)

ANYWHO.....

The technique I employed was to cut 2" styrofoam panels for each cavity, 1/2" smaller than the actual hole, all around. Hold in place and then use "Great Stuff" expansion foam to "grout" around the edges. Locks the panel in place, and cuts off all air circulation, ie it seals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1guAwzyEOQ

Food for thought?

hey ang. i was talking to a contractor friend and he said to be careful with styrofoam on boats. [termites love the stuff].
    any name or more info on the window film that blocks out the heat?

I am looking at the 3M Ceramic Series window tint (specifically, the Prestige Series within the Ceramic Series). This deflects heat and UV rays, and is not silver looking from the outside because it's non-metallic which also means it won't interfere with GPS and other electronics. They make various kinds that have various shades of darkness and UV ratings. I'm looking for something that is a little tinted, but not so dark that I feel like it's not a sunny day outside when it is - something about the same tine as what's on there now which was some really good stuff whatever it was, although it was not heat deflective. I have no idea who old the stuff is - looks like it's been there a long time. I've had the boat for almost 10 years, so it's way older than that. I only want to do the salon windows and the pilothouse doors. At this point, I am not intending to do any of the windshield. I have made a new Phifertex mesh covers, as well as solid Weblon covers for when I want to block out the sun completely, for each of the windshield windows. I'm not sure when I'll get this done, but its on the short list. I've got a lot of things in the works (canvas) and coming up (new headliner throughout, new nav electronics, new shower doors, etc.).
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Even with a windshield cover, tinting, and blinds the windows over the galley would radiate tremendous heat into the lower salon here in Florida. We have no lower station so visibility was not a problem. I installed 1/2 inch foil backed foam board to the glass. Made templates and had 1/8 inch black plexiglass cut to fit each window including the forward part or the side windows. Siliconed foam to glass and plexiglass to foam. Had to make temporary supports to hold in place for 24hours. Absolutely no heat intrusion now. Bride likes the look.

Frank
    47 Atlantic
    LUV'N LIFE