Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 1968 50' Hatteras Motor Yacht FOR SALE $79,900

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    The boat sure looks great. I have not seen anything better in that price range.
    I tentatively agree. I say tentatively, as one really has to see it in real iife to know what issues might remain to be repaired and/ or upgraded. But it sure looks great in the photos...with one exception...the outside window frames look a little suspect in one close up shot.

Plus I wonder what the A/C and head system looks like. Still, at that price all could look bad and still be a great deal...just not as great. But heck, even the Yamaha on the dinghy wasn't cheap.....pretty new and 4 stroke to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Boats are a great application.
    You are kidding, right ? A Detroit of given model will last waaaaay more hours in a semi truck, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    You are kidding, right ? A Detroit of given model will last waaaaay more hours in a semi truck, for example.
    Not true. They never get lugged in a boat like in a truck. They have clean air and no dust and grit. They get constant load. Its a much better application if used regularly.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    if used regularly.
    That's the key. Sitting is murder, more so in a slip than a hay field.

Semi's run every day, all day and most operators change the oil on time....... Engines like that.

Then again, say 600,000 miles (an average TBO) at 45 miles an hour...... is 13K plus hours.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    That's the key. Sitting is murder, more so in a slip than a hay field.

Semi's run every day, all day and most operators change the oil on time....... Engines like that.

Then again, say 600,000 miles (an average TBO) at 45 miles an hour...... is 13K plus hours.
    Don't know I'd say that is the "key" in comparing semi truck to boat, but that is a large part of it. Another large part is the difference in strain on the engine and the fact there are no speed limits on a boat when offshore. A 12V71TI can be worn out in 1000 hours if run WOT most of those hours, whereas a truck is almost never WOT due to speed limits and more fuel conservation desires.

But the greater point is that even though an 8V71 natural "could" go 20,000 hours in a boat...to actually do so, is rare as hen's teeth because indeed "sitting is murder" And sitting most of the time is exactly what the sort ofboat that is for sale here does. Engine block heaters and weekly crank up at dock can mitigate the sitting issue somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Don't know I'd say that is the "key" in comparing semi truck to boat, but that is a large part of it. Another large part is the difference in strain on the engine and the fact there are no speed limits on a boat when offshore. A 12V71TI can be worn out in 1000 hours if run WOT most of those hours, whereas a truck is almost never WOT due to speed limits and more fuel conservation desires.

But the greater point is that even though an 8V71 natural "could" go 20,000 hours in a boat...to actually do so, is rare as hen's teeth because indeed "sitting is murder" And sitting most of the time is exactly what the sort ofboat that is for sale here does. Engine block heaters and weekly crank up at dock can mitigate the sitting issue somewhat.

In addition, most semis have speed and or RPM governed (limited) on them.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    In addition, most semis have speed and or RPM governed (limited) on them.
    As an aside, I used to own a little Hino diesel box truck (like an Izuzu NPR but better make...Hino is Toyota sub) that ran like a champ with 360,000 miles....but the WOT was 66 mph ! No governer, nothing could be done to improve that...that just all it was designed to do. Meant for city deliveries I guess. My cruise control on the interstate was to floor it and wedge an old windshield wiper in between the throttle pedal and the ashtray....a sort of hair trigger thing...barely touch it and it would disengage.

Now I have a 2010 Chevy Express box truck (gas) that has a real cruise control and will probably go 90+ mph (no mood to risk speeding ticket to find out) Won't haul as much weight as the Hino...but soooo much more pleasant to drive.

All diesels have their max RPM governed.

Other than environmental factors like disuse, abuse or contamination, engine life is measured in total fuel burn. Lower HP versions of an engine burn fuel slower and run more hours. Higher HP goes through their fuel life faster. That's all there is to it.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Thread hi-jacking elevated to the extreme. Bravo.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Thread hi-jacking elevated to the extreme. Bravo.
    The OP should be grateful as it keeps his listing at the top Plus we all like his boat...at that price anyway.