Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Naiad Service question

On a recent trip, the low oil light came on for the Naiad stabilizers (model 252). Checked everything…no leaks, oil still showing on sight glass. Called Naiad in Ft. Lauderdale, and they said it was probably just a bad oil level switch. Says I just drop the oil reservoir and replace the switch. I have the manual, and understand how to do this, just a bit hesitant to "drop" anything containing 3+ gallons of oil. Has anyone else taken the oil reservoir loose for any reason? manual says it's about 80 pounds dry, so it looks like it could go really wrong really fast. Any advice?
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Re: Naiad Service question

You have it out with a vacuum pump?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

AutoCorrect. Can you pump it out with a vacuum pump?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Sounds like a good time to change the oil.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have the Multi Sea 2 system and had a similar issue. Spoke with Naiad several times...my tank had the sensor wires coming out of the top of the tank and attached to a wire block. I tested the sensors with a OHM meter and they were working fine. It ended up being a bad mother board in my system and replacing it fixed the issue. Not cheap.....

Follow the smaller hose off of the pump. It is the pressure side and runs back to the valve body above the tank. Remove the hose at that fitting and put it in a bucket. Start the engine and let it idle. It will pump the whole tank dry. This is how I always change my oil in my Naiads. Its quick and easy.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks all. Good ideas. Calling tomorrow to get a price for a new switch, and once I get it, I'll drain and replace. If that doesn't fix it, I may have to look into the electronics. Hope not.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    I have the Multi Sea 2 system and had a similar issue. Spoke with Naiad several times...my tank had the sensor wires coming out of the top of the tank and attached to a wire block. I tested the sensors with a OHM meter and they were working fine. It ended up being a bad mother board in my system and replacing it fixed the issue. Not cheap.....
    I know this is an old thread, but I noticed that you’re still active....

Looks like I’m facing the same issue, my TEMP and LEVEL indicators are flummoxed, and I’ve debugged it back to the board (TB1 connector).

Did you have to have a Naiad tech replace your board, and did the system need to be recalibrated?

Thanks!

I replaced the board myself as I couldn't get a tech to come out and do it. I guess they were too busy at the time. They sent me the board and the instructions to calibrate it. You just have to pay attention to the wire connections when removing and replacing the board! If you can get them to send you the board they should also send you the instructions. If you can get the board and cant get the instructions I have a copy of them that I could send you. Good luck with it.

To add some extra info to this thread.

I just changed stabilizer oil last weekend. Mine held 10 1/2 quarts and I did not replace the filter since the indicator is still in the green.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI