Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Finally in the paint booth

We mover the boat from Carolina Beach to Beaufort this weekend in preparation for moving to be painted starting yesterday. It was interesting moving it Saturday as we started out Masonboro inlet and decided to come back in and head up the wateray due to it being rougher than forcast, as we came in the inlet we saw a 60 ft Searay crash into the jetty and sink in about 2 minutes. That shook a couple of guys up pretty good and kept us on our toes for the rest of the trip.
    So with the boat finally in the shop what should I do while its being painted. I already plan on doing the bottom paint (it hasn't been done since 2012), repacking shafts and rudders. Any other things that should be done? Its going to be in the shop for about 4-5 months.

Below are a few pics of the haul out. Its always fun to watch.

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

Re: Finally in the paint booth

What are they charging you for the paint job?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Is JB doing the work? Paint looks pretty good from the haul out pics.
    Jack Sardina

I'd also be interested in the ball park figure for what it will cost you as I have the 58 yachtfish. Thanks.

Maybe up close she looks different, but from the pictures, she already looks fine.

Looks very good to me as well, but we all know how boats always look better in the pictures...especially when we drive a couple of hundred miles to look at one...lol

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Looks very good to me as well, but we all know how boats always look better in the pictures...especially when we drive a couple of hundred miles to look at one...lol

Walt
    I looked at a 54 Bertram that was amazing in the pictures but really rough in person. I went back and took a second look at the pictures and she still looked fantastic. Pics were recent as she was in the broker's slip and not there the week prior.
    Jack Sardina

I appreciate you guys saying she looks good, but I'm not too dumb. I only posted photos taken from the good angles. We were hit in 2014 on the port side and have a 6-7ft long scar amidships on the side of the hull. We were in our slip at Carolina Beach but we are on the T-head and exposed. A boat came by and hit us. Several people saw it but no one was able to track down the boat. Also topsides are at the point where its difficult to polish up well so we wanted to get things done prior to the boat being in bad shape. As it is the paint job should be fairly straight forward since we don't have a lot of hull repair. Just mostly sand, prime and paint.

No, Jarret Bay is not doing the work. We are using a guy that is located next to JB and has an agreement with JB to use their lift. We about had a heat attack watching them carry the boat about a 1/4 down the street with he boat swinging side to side in the rain. We had quotes from many persons ranging from 25-68K. We ended up where we are based on other references and looking at some of the previous projects done over the last 3-4 years. i really wanted to see a boat that was not recently done but one that had a little age on it.

Quotes are as follows:
    hull- 11K
    topsides- 17K

I am doing a few things myself like completing the window installs. You can see I have three port holes installed on the starboard side. Got nine more to do. I'm also replacing the front windows and that will have all the windows replaced with new fiberglass frames and tinted glass. I am really happy how the new glass helped the air conditioning loads. Its much easier to keep the boat cool.

What i really need though is input about other things I might need to do while it is out rather than making her pretty. I have read where a few folks here have removed the raw water strainers on the engines and used a different type. With the old strainers out it seems that there would be a lot more room on the aft ends of both engines. The pretty stuff is nice and makes my wife happy but I maintain and piddle on the boat and am always looking to for things that will make it easier on me.

If anyone would like to discuss costs or work being done in more detail feel free to PM me and I can give you my cell phone.

On a more fun note, we pulled into Beaufort city docks on Saturday night (Halloween) and lets just say they know how to party. My nineteen yr old son was with us and while I was with the dockmaster a 30-40 something very intoxicated female was aggressively attempting to pick him up and take him home. I had to drag her off of him. The other two gentlemen (one 65 and one 51 yr old) with our crew gave him pretty good ribbing for the next day or so. On Sunday we were asked to move from the T-head to another slip so "Sunday Money" ( Dale Earnhardt's old boat)could pull in next to us. Talk about making you feel insignificant, have a 100 plus ft Hatteras pull up next to you.
    It moved out after only a few hours and about 10K in fuel and another pulled in next to us. We did take a couple nice photos, though didn't get one before they moved Sunday Money.

IMG_0670.jpg

[QUOTE=mrdeepseafisher;280291]We mover the boat from Carolina Beach to Beaufort this weekend in preparation for moving to be painted starting yesterday. It was interesting moving it Saturday as we started out Masonboro inlet and decided to come back in and head up the wateray due to it being rougher than forcast, as we came in the inlet we saw a 60 ft Searay crash into the jetty and sink in about 2 minutes. That shook a couple of guys up pretty good and kept us on our toes for the rest of the trip.
    So with the boat finally in the shop what should I do while its being painted. I already plan on doing the bottom paint (it hasn't been done since 2012), repacking shafts and rudders. Any other things that should be done? Its going to be in the shop for about 4-5 months...QUOTE]

Holy smokes, just saw the news clip of the Sea Ray you mentioned: http://wbtw.com/2015/11/02/man-saved...near-nc-beach/

Any idea what happened? Looks like a teachable moment and I'm all ears...

Dont know really what the captain was thinking. We were just past the jetties in the inlet when he came by us. He was going at least 18-20 knts, way too fast for the inlet. My friend said he was crazy and was going to sink someone. We were grabbing to hold on due to his wake. We of course were looking back to see where he was heading and he turned to go straight across the north side of the jetti. I thought maybe he had let go the wheel or something and would turn back to the middle of the channel. Well he went across and I thought what the heck he made it! All of this happened in about 2 -3 minutes and we turned back to pilot our own boat then over the radio we hear MAYDAY MAYDAY! So he did go over the jetti but he ripped the bottom of the boat out.

The coastguard station is right on the end of Wrightsville Beach and they were in the boat and headed out in less than 5 minutes. There were several other boats near him so it only took a few minutes to pick the captain up. We had entered the ditch heading north and used the binoculars to see the boat with about 15 ft of it's bow sticking out of the water. The boat literally sunk in less than 5 minutes. If you look at google earth you can see the north side of the jetti near the shore looks a bit different than the rest. It is concrete and a little lower than the rest and at high tide is a bit (1-2)ft under water.

I don't want to say that even an idiot would know not to cut across the jetti but dang you can see on the charts there is something there. There is also a couple of markers in that area to the north, but really I don't think I have ever thought about cutting across like that even with our 24" boat.

I have always gone out to the sea bouy at any inlet and then headed wherever we were off to., but what do I know.