Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1974 43DC rudder packing

What is the size for the rudder packings for a 1974 43DC? I need to repack as 1 is leaking a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 1974 43DC rudder packing

Here is what I found
    Bill

Bill

Mickey,

Make sure the problem is the rudder packing and not a leaking rudder housing flange (the piece that goes through the hull).

I repacked my rudders only to discover one was leaking after I put the boat back in the water. I had to take it out again and remove the flange and caulk it from the outside hull. Check your Hatters manual and there should be a drawing on how the rudder flange comes through the hull.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Quote Originally Posted by lake of the woods View Post
    Mickey,

Make sure the problem is the rudder packing and not a leaking rudder housing flange (the piece that goes through the hull).

I repacked my rudders only to discover one was leaking after I put the boat back in the water. I had to take it out again and remove the flange and caulk it from the outside hull. Check your Hatters manual and there should be a drawing on how the rudder flange comes through the hull.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC
    I am sure its the packing, I need to know the size.

I believe that mine were 1 3/4". Sam's would likely know for sure.
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454

1/2" packing on mine, my gland is the bolt type.
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    What is the size for the rudder packings for a 1974 43DC? I need to repack as 1 is leaking a lot.

Thanks in advance.
    If after repacking the shafts they begin to leak quickly, you may have worn cutlass bearings. The only solution there is replacing them.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    If after repacking the shafts they begin to leak quickly, you may have worn cutlass bearings. The only solution there is replacing them.

Bobk

Yup. I just replaced my cutlass bearings this past spring for that reason. 1979 43C. On mine, the rudder shafts were 2" and it took 1/2" packing. Doing the bearings was not as bad as I feared. Rudder removal was fairly obvious and straightforward. The rubber insert part of the cutlass bearings fell out when the rudder was removed. "Shot" is not the word for them. We carefully used a sawzall to cut thru the bronze sleeve and tapped them out with a punch and hammer. I used a bottle jack and block of wood to press in the new ones. Replaced the rudders, repacked, and tightened. No leaks since.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gbharrington View Post
    I believe that mine were 1 3/4". Sam's would likely know for sure.
    I need to pay more attention..... for some reason I thought you were asking about cutlass bearings size
    Greg Harrington
    43 DCFB 1977 w/Cummins 903 M1 (340HP)
    Hull #454