Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flybridge removal

We just bought a 74 Hatteras 38DCMY with flybridge helm, and need to ship this to alabama, but need to remove the flybridge, which is the only helm. Does anyone know anything about these old classic hats, and their flybridge? Hatteras wasnt much use, just basically told me it was too old for specsheets, and noone was still alive who could answer my questions. They did tell me this flybridge wouldve been installed with a certain adhesive that isnt really designed to come off, does that me we will destroy this if we try to remove? Ive also been told that the flybridge is "just screwed", while another has said its "bolted", SO, WE'RE REALLY CONFUSED, lol. When we looked at the boat, I looked for fasteners under the helm, and under the seats, and didnt see any screws or bolt heads. If anyone can offer any advice here, itd be gr8. Wed love to hire someone to do it, but everyone in the Sandusky OH area is swamped with pull outs, and our trucking company is having extreme difficulty finding someone. I have drills, sawzall, vast carpentry experience, and believe I can tackle this with ease, just need to know some basics, like, does the flybridge have a floor that seperates from the cabin ceiling? Do I have to remove the salon ceiling to gain access to the bolts/screws? What precautions should we take besides labeling wires/cables? Can this be pried up, to separate the flybridge from the roof, or will we destroy it if we try?

Re: Flybridge removal

Call SAM'S the host of this site and ask for Steve. He will likely know the answer.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Is there any reason it can not be run on its own bottom to your destination? I seem to recall others have done it with that model. And it would make a wonderful trip and likely be no more expensive than everything related to shipping it.

Bobk

Every bridge I have seen is screwed and caulked. Most likely they were delivered by truck and the bridge was installed by the dealer.

I agree with BobK. These boats were not meant to be on a truck. Removing and installing the flybridge and packing the boat and parts for trucking is an awful job.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    I agree with BobK. These boats were not meant to be on a truck. Removing and installing the flybridge and packing the boat and parts for trucking is an awful job.
    Every boat of that vintage was shipped on a truck. As Dave said the were all attached at the destination / dealer. If it's the original bridge and not glassed down its no big deal. My 1966 41c has a different bridge glassed on and will not be easy to take off. I'd ask also why not run her down on her bottom?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Well, I can tell you the bridge is just a shell that sits of the roof of the salon. I can't image anything being through bolted where the roof is concerned. I've only removed one bridge in my day, and it was from a Sea Ray. It was screwed and glued.

I'm with everybody else about running it down on its own bottom, especially if the boat is still in the water. Would save you the trouble of the bridge R&R and two travel lift bills.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Well, I can tell you the bridge is just a shell that sits of the roof of the salon. I can't image anything being through bolted where the roof is concerned. I've only removed one bridge in my day, and it was from a Sea Ray. It was screwed and glued.

I'm with everybody else about running it down on its own bottom, especially if the boat is still in the water. Would save you the trouble of the bridge R&R and two travel lift bills.
    If it is the 38 that was on e bay, it is gas powered and has been used as a cottage. The add said that some work was needed.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    If it is the 38 that was on e bay, it is gas powered and has been used as a cottage. The add said that some work was needed.
    No doubt that could be a game changer, but the worst part of the trip is downhill. Range shouldn't be an issue with that in mind.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

My 1969 41C was shipped to Seattle by truck with the bridge sitting in the cockpit. It was reinstalled with 5200 and the square drive SS screws. That was in the early seventies and its still watertight.