Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who makes the most accurate and reliable mechanical oil pressure gauge ?

By mechanical I mean, reading is taken directly from oil flow to the gauge. What I have in the engine room is Murphy 20P-150. One of them has failed. Tried cleaning it internally with carb cleaner...helped for awhile but now back to reading 5 lbs (when pressure really is 35+ lbs)

When I did a gauge swap between engines I noticed the working one was obviously newer, so this isn't the first Murphy failure in the boat's history.

Therefore wondering if I should order another Murphy or some other make. (for 2" nominal opening)

Re: Who makes the most accurate and reliable mechanical oil pressure gauge ?

We used Stewart-Warner marine series

I would avoid Stewart-Warner. Mine have been a big disappointment.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I would avoid Stewart-Warner. Mine have been a big disappointment.
    A) How so?

B)Mechanical or electrical?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I agree. The last few SW mechanical gauges were not accurate and had to return one right out of the box.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    I agree. The last few SW mechanical gauges were not accurate and had to return one right out of the box.

Another company that went down hill they use to be one of the best many moons ago though.
    Most likely went the China route
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Mexico.

Electrical gauges, two had defects right out of the box, and the bezels on the "Marine Deluxe" tachometers developed bad rust after about a year.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

So what's that leave, Murphy, Isspro and VDO? Have had good luck with the last two, no direct experience with Murphy though they have a good rep.
    George
    2007-2014

The difficulty in such a discussion re "accurate" gauges is the fact that most commonly available/purchased gauges are not calibrated and most people don't have any way to calibrate a gauge.

IOW, if your new gauge shows X pressure at Y RPM, how do you know that that is really the correct pressure. The answer is, you don't. Test gauges that are calibrated that can be used to provide really accurate readings cost around 1000 bucks. Fluke, as well as other manufacturers, make such gauges.

We normally assume that mechanical gauges are more "accurate." But, in reality, although they are not subject to variations in voltage/wiring/connection issues that can effect electrical gauges, the specific reading can still be substantially in error. OTOH, the RELATIVE readings of the mechanical gauge are likely to be consistent.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    The difficulty in such a discussion re "accurate" gauges is the fact that most commonly available/purchased gauges are not calibrated and most people don't have any way to calibrate a gauge.

IOW, if your new gauge shows X pressure at Y RPM, how do you know that that is really the correct pressure. The answer is, you don't. Test gauges that are calibrated that can be used to provide really accurate readings cost around 1000 bucks. Fluke, as well as other manufacturers, make such gauges.

We normally assume that mechanical gauges are more "accurate." But, in reality, although they are not subject to variations in voltage/wiring/connection issues that can effect electrical gauges, the specific reading can still be substantially in error. OTOH, the RELATIVE readings of the mechanical gauge are likely to be consistent.
    A good mechanic/surveyor will do it as they don't trust any gauges on board.
    George
    2007-2014