Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: autopilots

autopilots

My Benmar Compucourse autopilot is throwing in the towel and I am looking for a replacement on my 1985 , 53 ft, Hatt ED. Anyone out there with recommendations for a replacement. I am considering the Garmin Reactor with smart pump (about $4000). Also any estimates for instillation costs? Also does anyone know the hydraulic cubic inch rudder cylinder displacement of my boat? Thanks, LEV

Re: autopilots

What, exactly, is it doing that constitutes "throwing in the towel?"

Depending on what you NEED from an autopilot affects what the solution might be.

For example, our 1980 53MY has the original Raytheon Neco autopilot that was installed when the boat was new. All it does is maintain a dialed-in heading. There is no interface with GPS/whatever. BUT...it does the heading-holding job perfectly.

When we bought the boat, it didn't work. I went through all the connections in the various autopilot components, breaking/cleaning/ remaking everyone of them (nearly 100) and the autopilot then worked perfectly for years. 3 years ago it quit and after troubleshooting, I found that a one dollar transistor had failed. Mouser supplied a new one and the AP has been working perfectly since. Since I don't have any need for an AP that integrates to GPS/chart plotter, I don't care about that capability.

My point is that your AP may be..and probably IS...fixable and if it does what you need it to do, why waste the money on a new one?
    Last edited by MikeP; 10-02-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Larry - Went through a similar situation last year. I ultimately went with a new Simrad/Robertson unit. The cost was about the same when you added in everything. The link below should help.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...hich-to-choose
    Best regards,
    --
    David

garman smart pump results this was taken tuesday coming home from OI pick tell all 20 21 knots no waving
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-02-2015 at 03:24 PM.

IMG_0623.jpg[attach=config]18924[/attach

you can see how straight it goes here is a shot of the chart ploter and the rout from OI to Morehead you can see the storms on the scope i was going around
    all the turns you see were done with the auto pilot never touched the helm
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-02-2015 at 03:44 PM.

I also wanted to ask about the extent of the failure. Is the pump working but not the control circuitry?
    My unit gave up the ghost a couple of years ago and I just went through a total redo on my 1968 Benmar but the pump was still operating correctly. We replaced the big green compass and Binnacle with a 3 axis accelerometer/magnetometer and we wired a jump board into the existing head unit. You can't tell that it's not original unless you look underneath and spot the USB output port. A friend of mine is really talented at this kind of stuff and he did it just for the challenge and the joy of being around boats. Ironically, by the time we were done reverse engineering the old compass, we knew it pretty well and could point to why it didn't work and could have fixed that one instead.
    The top photo below is the new compass unit and the bottom pic shows how it all goes together in the old box.

Eric
    Attached Images

Tim,

Do you have the new reactor system or the old version?

The smart pump is awesome although too many people get scared of the price. It out performs anything else out there. For a new install where the plumbing is not already done its the best choice.

Raymarine was the first with the super smart autopilot with multiple gyros, Garmin followed. Simrad has yet to respond. FWIW I would have no problem recomending a Ray autopilot on a garmin system. Especially where existing pumps and plumbing dictate. I've done a bunch like that before the reactor was released.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Tim,

Do you have the new reactor system or the old version?

The smart pump is awesome although too many people get scared of the price. It out performs anything else out there. For a new install where the plumbing is not already done its the best choice.

Raymarine was the first with the super smart autopilot with multiple gyros, Garmin followed. Simrad has yet to respond. FWIW I would have no problem recomending a Ray autopilot on a garmin system. Especially where existing pumps and plumbing dictate. I've done a bunch like that before the reactor was released.
    BOB I DO NOT KNOW IT IS ABOUT 2 YEARS OLD AND OPERATED GRATE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS

i DID NOT GET YOUR PACKAGE OFF TODAY IT IS ON THE BOAT I AM AT HOME..

CG reporting freightor missing off Bahama coast!!
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-02-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Thats OK. No rush. You have the older unit that was based on the TR-1. Garmin did a great job integrating it and with the shadow valve and other interfaces it did a great job. The new reactor series is a new processor and course computer.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

How does the accelerometer work in quartering seas? Twenty seven years ago when I bought a system for my trawler I tried to convince the manufacturer that an accelerometer would improve steering in a quartering sea. The lift in the stern quarter is essentially what the helmsman responds to and an accelerometer should do the same for the AP.

Bobk