Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: head problems

head problems

I have a 1979 yachtfish and the center head is giving me some issues, when you push the button
    to flush most of the time water just fills up in the bowl ,and yes it has the tube in the rear of the
    head to prime main line. So after the bowl starts filling up and not going out if you stop and put a
    plunger in the bowl work it up and down a couple times to expel the air in the plunger then push down
    and at the same time push the flush button again the plunger will suck down into the bowl and if
    then lift the plunger out while still holding the button you can flush till the holding tank fills. Since
    once started it just keeps working till you stop pushing button I believe there are no line restrictions
    (also replaced just in case ) nor is there a venting issue as I tore all that apart and checked that
    oh I should mention this is a galley maid. Now if you just expell the waste and let it set the water
    in the hose will seep back into the toilet bowl which is really nasty. My next step is to replace the
    rubber like unit surrounding the T at the pump itself any other suggestions ?

Also has anyone able to give recommendations on vac u flush units or something else to replace
    galley maid units

thanks for reading and replying

Re: head problems

I have a 79 53MY with the same issue in the center head. I used CLR to flush the lines and it worked for a month then it went back to just filling up the bowl. I do not however have the issue with the waste returning to the bowl. I use the plunger to force air into the system and that seems to work for a while. I'll keep reading your post and maybe one of the experts can guide us both to an easy fix. Thanks for posting this.

Rebuild the pump. I had one that would fill the bowl but eventually would start to pump and discharge. Slowly got worse. I was convinced it was a restricted line but the rebuild fixed the problem. Never had an issue with it flushing again. They are very simple and inexpensive to rebuild providing the motor is fine.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
    I have a 1979 yachtfish and the center head is giving me some issues, when you push the button
    to flush most of the time water just fills up in the bowl ,and yes it has the tube in the rear of the
    head to prime main line. So after the bowl starts filling up and not going out if you stop and put a
    plunger in the bowl work it up and down a couple times to expel the air in the plunger then push down
    and at the same time push the flush button again the plunger will suck down into the bowl and if
    then lift the plunger out while still holding the button you can flush till the holding tank fills. Since
    once started it just keeps working till you stop pushing button I believe there are no line restrictions
    (also replaced just in case ) nor is there a venting issue as I tore all that apart and checked that
    oh I should mention this is a galley maid. Now if you just expell the waste and let it set the water
    in the hose will seep back into the toilet bowl which is really nasty. My next step is to replace the
    rubber like unit surrounding the T at the pump itself any other suggestions ?

Also has anyone able to give recommendations on vac u flush units or something else to replace
    galley maid units

thanks for reading and replying
    If you do decide to replace it, give the Vacuflush good consideration. I have three and like them. They really stretch the time between pump outs and if treated well do not require a lot of maintenance. I am flushing with fresh water. I have found that double flushing helps to keep the joker valves in good shape. I have one set that is 9 years old, and the others are newer but are my first first replacement of them. There is a firm on the east coast that has good prices. Sea Coast Services??

Bobk

Please check and make sure that the line that goes from the head to the pump (not the discharge line) does not dip below the level of the pump at any point. If it does, that could very well be your problem.

You need a new stator in the pump.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yep, the symptoms described are typical of a worn stator. It is also possible that the rotor is corroded/damaged. I had one like that and the problem is that if the rotor has become eroded/pitted, it can then cause relatively rapid wear of the stator. Hopefully you just need a stator because the rotors are pricey!

It's not a difficult job but I suggest that before you do any disassembly that you pour a dollop of clorox in the head and then flush. Repeat this several times before beginning the teardown. This will eliminate most, if not all of the bad smells associated with such work.

On the waste side of the pump you must unscrew the rotor to remove the stator which can be a bit fiddly due to the T-shaped macerator on the rotor which prevents removal of the stator. A search on this site should reveal instructions/suggestions for removal of the rotor.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

it does sound like the rotor and stator. I cut the rubber stator off to get better access to the rotor. I believe the threads are left hand on the rotor, its been a while. good luck

This problem is caused by an air bubble forming round the discharge stator.I have found that if I angle the thick hose from the head upwards the air bubble rises out of the stator and the head works.I use a Pvc pipe to support the host upwards.

I got soooo tired of my GM heads, raw water flush and lots of calcium build up in the lines. Replaced them with Raritan frush water flush.
    Curt