Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to be educated on Marine Power 454 Sport Pack engines.

Hi All,

I kNow very little about gas marine engines.

Engines in question are 7 year old replacement marine power 454 sport packs.

What's the good and the bad.

Things to be concerned about ?

Opinions ?

Thanks
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Re: Need to be educated on Marine Power 454 Sport Pack engines.

I had one on my previous boat , standard BB chevy engine i had no real problems with it except the crank mount raw water pumps dont really last too long , but at least there cheap. And on all gas engines in salt water the exhaust elbows and manifolds (depending if raw water cooled or not )need to be carefully inspected for leaks.
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC

Quote Originally Posted by lumina View Post
    Hi All,

I kNow very little about gas marine engines.

Engines in question are 7 year old replacement marine power 454 sport packs.

What's the good and the bad.

Things to be concerned about ?

Opinions ?

Thanks
    Gene,
    Before we bought our 40 Hatteras DCMY I had some interest in a Mainship DCMY. It was powered by Marine Power 454's. Before I purchase anything I try to educate myself as much as possible. In searching on the internet there is very little information on them. The problem in searching is also in their name. Everything related powering marine comes up. On the Mainship I was lucky to speak to the mechanic that maintained the boat. We quickly developed a good relationship and he was quite open on the subject. The problem lies in the marinization of the block. He said there was so much of it that did not make sense and many areas hard to get to. He advised against it. Crusader uses a heavy duty block with 4 bolt main bearings and larger cooling passages. Look up David Pasco on the internet. He is quite a famous surveyor and has written articles and books on boats. In one of his articles he had the opportunity to strip down both a 454 Mercury and 454 Crusader engines. In his findings he stated the Crusader could probably go twice the hours of the Merc. Let me know if you can not find the article, will find it for you.
    Bob

ditto on the crusaders. from what ive heard and read, they are the better engine. I believe you can only get re-mans now on the crusaders as opposed to being able to get the mercs new.

I owned a 1965 46' Chris Craft Connie with 454's for 18 years. Other than two heat exchanger and one riser the engines preformed perfect. Note, the boat is and was keep in fresh water. Loved those engines.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I owned a 1965 46' Chris Craft Connie with 454's for 18 years. Other than two heat exchanger and one riser the engines preformed perfect. Note, the boat is and was keep in fresh water. Loved those engines.
    Seven.....454's came out in 1970, so not original power. Were they Crusaders or other make? How many hours did you put on them? In running mine at 2,000 rpm, get about 10 mph and burn a total of 7 1/2 gph.

I have 39 year old original Chris Craft Marine Power 454's in my boat. Other than general PM......Only issues have been both heat exchanges blew, distributors crapped out and replaced them with electronic and one fuel pump in the last 20 years
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Bob, you are correct. The motors were replaced new in 1995. They have approx 700 hours. The burn is close to yours. The Chris came with Lincoln's originally.

Can those 454 take the 50'-53' Hats to 18-19MPH?
    I've seen some 1970s 53' MY with 454s and they stated could cruise at 19MPH. Seems quite fast.

Just wondering if it's real numbers, and if so, what is the GPH at that speed.

Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by douglasl View Post
    Can those 454 take the 50'-53' Hats to 18-19MPH?
    I've seen some 1970s 53' MY with 454s and they stated could cruise at 19MPH. Seems quite fast.

Just wondering if it's real numbers, and if so, what is the GPH at that speed.

Douglas
    Douglas....My 40 DCMY will burn just under 20GPH running at 2800 rpm and 12-14 mph. Running mid to upper 3000 rpm range will burn 34 -38 GPH. I am not qualified to give you an accurate answer but do not think those figures possible.