Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Battery load testers - Any recommendations ?

In my case need to test Deka 1231MF with 1000 CCA rating... a dozen of them... all flooded wet type but "no maintenance" so can't check specific gravity.

Would a 500 amp load tester like below give thumbs up or down definitive results within a minute or two ? Or should I consider a larger amp size or better quality load tester ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-50...992053&vxp=mtr

Re: Battery load testers - Any recommendations ?

Man up and buy the right tool if your going to diy. This is why good mechanics aren't cheep.

https://store.snapon.com/Electronic-...d-P823712.aspx
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Man up and buy the right tool if your going to diy. This is why good mechanics aren't cheep.

https://store.snapon.com/Electronic-...d-P823712.aspx
    Oooh...I like it....not all that expensive either. Holy cow...for once you have given me some actual helpful advice.

But the "man up" comment is bizarre. By that logic, while I'm milling/drilling/tapping custom parts on a $40,000 CNC mill maybe I should make fun of you for not "manning up" because you are hacking out parts with a handheld torch and Chinese drill press ? LOL...

=========

(on edit)

Maybe it wouldn't be manning up enough, but I see there is a "basic" version of this tester (model EECS150) that might do just fine for those of us using 12 volt batteries (do any of you use multiple 6 volt batteries ? I think maybe my bow thruster does... ) In other words the "basic" model is the same case and display but is even cheaper at only 230 bucks. Other differences from the Enhanced model (EECS350) are smaller cable clamps, 300 less CCA capability, no printer port, and less system test capabilities.

The downside of either unit compared to the simplistic analog types (besides cost) is like anything with electroics they are subject to component failure and obsolesence. The analog ones are so simple they probably last forever as long as you don't let it overheat. But being sorta geeky I'm inclined toward the Snap On one regardless !

But not to be outdone in the manly manness department, you know I HAVE to go with the "Enhanced" model regardless of cost ! (well...really I need the 6 and 24 volt capability... 24 for my electric pallet jacks at the shop)
    Last edited by Milacron; 09-20-2015 at 04:12 PM.

First I don't have a Chinese drill press. But then again where is delta made these days? Mines old enough to be safe from that. My woodworking tools are anywhere between 15 and 40 years old.

I may not have my own Bridgeport but I don't need one. I have friends who gladly help me as I help them. My tester was over $300 because I need to test 6, 8 and 12 volt batteries. My meters, crimpers, interfaces and other electrical tools and supplies probably cost almost what your machine did.

Having the right tools is important. Knowing how to use them is paramount.

My favorite shop to borrow.
    Attached Images
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

My favorite shop to borrow.
    Not bad....nice floor. Looks like a classic Colchester engine lathe, and a newer Clausing Colchester version in there. Plus a Bridgeport mill...or that style anyway. Looks like a proper building too..not just a cheap metal building.

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    Not bad....nice floor. Looks like a classic Colchester engine lathe, and a newer Clausing Colchester version in there. Plus a Bridgeport mill...or that style anyway.
    2 large and a small bridgeport. Plus all types of shears, brakes and welding gear.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Getting back to the Snap On EECS350 tester, once you clip the leads on a 1000 CCA battery, how long does the unit take to get the battery health data on the screen ? And does it keep that data in memory for potential review hours later...or for that matter, for trending comparison months later ?

Testing is about 30 seconds. I'm not sure of the me more as it was out of stock so I have another brand. I save the data in the customers paperwork.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Since Man up has become a sexist term I prefer Nut up or shut up! Complements of Woody
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

i hate to be a smart ass here but why would you ever think a 500 amp tester would work on a 1000 amp battery? if you are going to do this stuff your self you NEED the right tools.