Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

What is the proper location for the tee fitting in the wet exhaust?

Ed and I are going to replace some of the exhaust hoses while we're replacing all of the morse cables. One engine is simple-looking and the other is a cluster-f*&k of what appears to be too much hose curled all over the place and we'd like to clean that up and reduce some of the unnecessary hose lengths.

What is troubling to us is the placement of the tee fitting where the exhaust water comes out of the engines, and the splits through that tee and goes into the big fat exhaust tubes (the "wet exhaust" I believe it's called). Ever since we got the boat, these tee fittings have been zip-tied to the intercooler, and that just doesn't seem like that's the proper place for it. Below is a photo of that fitting from my not-so-cluttered engine. Does anyone have a photo of their 8v92ti (or similar) that shows a more appropriate place to mount these tee fittings? (The orange stuff on it is just rubber that we wrapped on there to reduce the chafe.) It's worked like this just fine for the past 10 years, but we want to clean up the engine rooms and this just doesn't look right. Thanks for the advice.

exhaust hose.JPG
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: What is the proper location for the tee fitting in the wet exhaust?

The raw water should come out of the heat exchanger and split to each exhaust riser. I've always seen the t fitting made up tight to the inboard riser.