Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thunderstorms

Thunderstorms

Coming in today punched through a rather nasty Lightning storm, went from calm to 35kts+ winds and a steep / close 4'-6' sea. All the CC guys were scrambling @ high speed trying to dodge the various storms. Sent passengers below to relax in the AC, picked a thin spot on radar, closed up the bridge and loafed on through at 18kts. Can't imagine ever going the CC route.

Re: Thunderstorms

Quote Originally Posted by GCSI View Post
    Coming in today punched through a rather nasty Lightning storm, went from calm to 35kts+ winds and a steep / close 4'-6' sea. All the CC guys were scrambling @ high speed trying to dodge the various storms. Sent passengers below to relax in the AC, picked a thin spot on radar, closed up the bridge and loafed on through at 18kts. Can't imagine ever going the CC route.
    Usually they fall in right behind you letting you knock down the sea. Sometime so close you can see their eye balls. Then you feel like you got another responsibility.

Forget the cc crowd. We came into ft Pierce with 3 cells colliding. 50 to 60 kt winds and 8 to 12's. There was a 40 Searay and a 36 or so silverton. I stayed head into it when they ran as fast as they could. I stayed at 16 kts and that afternoon when I saw the silverton owner he told me he had a mess. All the cabinets emptied and he had to slow down. The Searay ripped the galley off the hull.

I had 2 portlights that leaked and took in 4 or 5 gallons of water.

Yes the hatt was better suited to the weather and yes the captain of the hatt kept his nose into waves.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Forget the cc crowd. We came into ft Pierce with 3 cells colliding. 50 to 60 kt winds and 8 to 12's. There was a 40 Searay and a 36 or so silverton. I stayed head into it when they ran as fast as they could. I stayed at 16 kts and that afternoon when I saw the silverton owner he told me he had a mess. All the cabinets emptied and he had to slow down. The Searay ripped the galley off the hull.

I had 2 portlights that leaked and took in 4 or 5 gallons of water.

Yes the hatt was better suited to the weather and yes the captain of the hatt kept his nose into waves.
    Is better to you when its a viking or a custom built that has to fall in line behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    Is better to you when its a viking or a custom built that has to fall in line behind you.
    Driving a hatt is like driving the snow plow. You clear the way for lessers.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

When we brought up our 34SC Hat 10 years ago, we were in 50 MPH winds at our tail. We were gaining 9mph on the gps coming down the following sea waves. Never got wet on the bridge!