Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: New galley up construction underway

Curious on performance figures for the 450 hp "C"'s on a 53 MY. The 8/71ti's were I think about 425 or 435 hp and a little heavier. About 5 years ago a friend replaced a pair of 450hp 6/71's on his sport fisher (not a Hatteras) with the 450 hp cummins and we were all very surprised at the performance boost with the same HP. Much higher cruise and top speed with great improvement on fuel use.

Walt

I'd be kind of worried about that bottom drawer with 50lbs of frozen food come flying out like a battering ram.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I will also have hooks or latches for the doors and drawer. I have had a subzero drawer come loose after the latch failed flying across the galley.. Not pretty
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I'd be kind of worried about that bottom drawer with 50lbs of frozen food come flying out like a battering ram.
    How rough do you think it will get at the dock Mr Smith?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

pascal, do you have the original closet doors(4) in the master? are you planning to re use them? i may be interested in them if you have them and dont plan to use them in the remodel

Pascal, Look on YW for a scary looking 40' Tollycraft for sale in Colonial Beach, Va. Ask is like $29,900 and she has a really new looking pair of 370 Cummins B series as her power. It may be worth buying her for the engines. I'm trying to resist the temptation as they would be excellent (re) power for my 41 TC.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Bill, yes I do. I may reuse them, just not sure yet. In any case it s going to be at least a couple of months till I finish the galley and get to the master.

Eric, I want to start clean with fresh engines and I don't think I want to deal with parting out and disposing of a boast long distance, might be good for someone local

Today is wiring day running new Wires to the galley from the new electrical panel above the steps to the companion way between ERs. Part of the project is rewiring most of the boat as the original non tinned wiring is... Well... Old! Still finding home style wing nuts inside walls!
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Bill, yes I do. I may reuse them, just not sure yet. In any case it s going to be at least a couple of months till I finish the galley and get to the master.

Eric, I want to start clean with fresh engines and I don't think I want to deal with parting out and disposing of a boast long distance, might be good for someone local

Today is wiring day running new Wires to the galley from the new electrical panel above the steps to the companion way between ERs. Part of the project is rewiring most of the boat as the original non tinned wiring is... Well... Old! Still finding home style wing nuts inside walls!

The AC wiring in the early Hatts was pretty bad even from the factory. I've found a number of splices in hidden inaccessible areas that were soldered and taped. When the tape started to fail they would intermittently short and blow the breaker.i ended up having to cut acces holes just to see where the splices were.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Pascal, that's coming along very nicely. I think we have the same sort of fridge for my Roamer, but made by Samsung. Bottom drawer freezer is a good design.

I guess I shouldn't complain as the original wiring is close to 50 years old but it s not jsut that the wires are not tinned but the strands are much thicker than modern marine wire. The original panel in the port ER though had become a fire hazard with connections that had clearly developed resistance. I once opened it up in the dark and saw arcing behind some breakers... Not enough circuits either, basically all the lights and outlets were on two breakers (port and stbd) except for th galley and fridge.

Here is a shot of the new panel under construction. Right side will be for DC. I will add meters at the top, I like th blue seas meters has they have low and high alarms. Rotary switches will be relocated on th wall to the right of the panel. Using shrink tube on all connections, adding extra breakers and circuit for better distribution and protection.
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat