Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: New galley up construction underway

It looks like a terrific upgrade! If it comes out half as good as the sailboat it will be awesome.
    Regards
    Dan

Very interesting layout. I often felt the 38C which was supposed to be the follow-on to my 36 had a similarly thoughtful arrangement with the galley being up and against the aft bulkhead of the salon. It made a lot of sense to me for a couple of reasons. One was that the galley interfered less with engine access than the ones along the salon bulkhead. I realize that it's less of a concern on a 53MY, but still a good idea on general principles.

Another was that it had a home kitchen feel with cabinets surrounding a window over the sink. Much less claustrophobic than a galley down. The other reason was it put the galley slave right in the middle of the action with access to, but not interfering with the traffic path. They could interact with people in the cockpit or salon, and that proximity made food service much easier. They probably could have done something like your pass-thru window too. Although the tackle center on a convertible usually goes under the window in the cockpit, so I don't know if it's worth the risk of mixing the hors d'oeuvres with the ballyhoo.

Why wasn't the 38 a good seller? Many cite the "unusual" arrangement. Was Hatteras too far ahead of their time?

While we're at it. What do you plan to do with the space that the old galley and dinette occupied? Home gym? Library? Solar battery bank?

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to the updates.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Old dinette will become a head, twice the size of the existing forward head

Existing forward head will be removed along with the washer drier cabinet along with the unpractical bunks, replaced with a centerline full size bed

Old galley will become a stateroom like the 58 MY

Another drastic change will be combining the master and the midship into a BIG master. The existing two act head and shared shower will be combined with the existing companionway into a big head. Entrance to the master will be thru what is currently the midship stateroom
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Great ideas Pascal. I really wish I had considered moving the galley to the enclosed aft deck. Too late now.

Keep the pictures coming.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Old dinette will become a head, twice the size of the existing forward head

Existing forward head will be removed along with the washer drier cabinet along with the unpractical bunks, replaced with a centerline full size bed

Old galley will become a stateroom like the 58 MY

Another drastic change will be combining the master and the midship into a BIG master. The existing two act head and shared shower will be combined with the existing companionway into a big head. Entrance to the master will be thru what is currently the midship stateroom
    What about the water tank under the midship berth? What are you doing with that area? and your existing master closet?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Going to break down the wall that separate the master to th midship, where the closet is.

The berth with the water tank will be converted into a sofa, probably shortened deoending on th actual the size of the tank. The berth on th outside, along the hull, has drawers and will be eliminated, replaced by closets and maybe a vanity under one of the portholes. There will be more closet space behind the stbd ER as Using the companion way and existing head will create a very large head

On th early 53 like mine the water tank along the transom takes a lot of space and has the steering gear on a shelf above the tank, about 4' from the floor.i am considering removing that tank and instead put a new water tank under the queen size bed, which on my boat is not on centerline but against the port hull

Here a quick sketch I did a few days ago...
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    American Bulldogs.... Two of them
    Pascal,

I love dogs! I have a golden. No offence intended. Sorry for the bad attempt at a joke.

Nice work. Enjoy seeing more.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

Great projects! Everything's looking really good!

I've always preferred galley-up to galley-down, so moving your to a place where you can see outside is a plus in my book.

Keep the pix coming!

Cheers,
    Q

Wow, that is a really ambitious project.

I've been flipping back and forth between the brochures of the 53, the 58 and your drawing. If I'm reading this right your drawing is the new master with the bow to the left and you're going from a 3 SR with a bunk in the bow to a 2SR with no bunk, but much larger rooms?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

One more thought: What if you ever have to get an engine out of the boat? Will it still fit through the back door with that galley there?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI