Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best dock lines?

I need some new dock lines. The following post ended without a recommendation so I thought I would start a new one.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ght=Dock+lines

What's the best value for 1/2 or 5/8 inch dock lines? If I buy in bulk, can I be taught to make adequate eyes?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Best dock lines?

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    I need some new dock lines. The following post ended without a recommendation so I thought I would start a new one.

What's the best value for 1/2 or 5/8 inch dock lines? If I buy in bulk, can I be taught to make adequate eyes?
    Are you sure that's big enough for that boat. Seems a bit smaller than I thought you'd need.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post

David,

I would think for your 58 you would want 3/4" as the minimum and yes you can learn to do more than adequate eyes. There are some great instructional videos on YouTube that will get you started. On my previous boat I made all the lines with leather wrapped eyes and leather chafe guards at the dock cleats. Got a lot of comments and it was enjoyable to do.
    Dave
    1985 43' MY "Hattini"
    Seabrook, TX

If you have the desire to braid your own loops in your lines, you can certainly do them yourself. Most American rope manufacturers will provide you with proper instructions. Tools like a Fid can be bought at many if not most good marine supply stores. If you really want to learn first hand consider joining the U.S.Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Aux.

BTW I believe 1/2" line is too small for your boat 5/8" is probably marginal but OK in most conditions other than a major storm. I use a min size of 3/4" for my dock lines and my Winter lines are 1" with extra lines on all cleats. Probably contributed to my boat surviving Sandy a few years ago, although one line (1" twisted nylon) actually melted about a foot away from the loop. I have heard of that happening but until that time, I never actually saw it.

Good luck..

Walt

David, I use 5/8" dock lines on a 36' boat that probably weighs a third of what yours does and has far less sail area. I would think you need 3/4 lines.

I really like 8-plait rope for docklines; Yale makes it, they call it Brait, and New England ropes makes it also, although I can't recall what their name is. Coils very easily in either direction, which is nice, and strong but has some give to it. It can be spliced, but you'd have to get the kit and learn to do it. it also makes great anchor line, again because it doesn't hockle and flakes down very nicely.

Thanks for catching my mistake! I have 3/4" lines.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I did the eyes on our tow bridal, hawser and etc. So far so good. I will say, that depending on the manufacturer, the size of the fid can be important.

The fid is used to make measurements associated with the process. It is also used to pull the line through itself and one particular pull can be very difficult if the fid is too large in diameter. If you go with 3 strand, the fid is not required.

Before you go out and buy the line in bulk, check the prices of complete dock lines.

For example, a 600 ft spool of 3/4 double braid by N.E. Rope is 1200 bucks + shipping from one vendor. You may find it difficult to beat the price of manufactured lines?
    Regards
    Dan

3/4 to 1 inch minimum, for sure. What are you going with, double braid or 3 strand? Double braid has several advantages over 3 strand. Costs a bit more, but worth it: https://citimarinestore.com/en/511-p...lon-dock-lines

Only thing is splicing. Bit more difficult with the double braid than 3 strand, but you can find guides online to help. Once you get the hang of it, you're good to go.

For routine transient use I tend to undersize my lines as it is much easier to handle, carry and store. Home slip yes heavier lines are safer and you don’t have to worry about an occasional squall

3/4 and up I really like megabraid. Much easier to coil.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Currently using these at the dock:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=5803142

Defender 1st price is $70.99 for the 40'
    Brett Portzer 1972 Hatteras 43DC331
    2019- SUPERNOVA Waterford, NY