Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

71 43 DCMY AC Air handler replacement for mid cabin

We are in South Florida and I am looking at upgrading our AC in the salon to get it cooler.

Has anyone out there had any experience in upgrading or adding an ac unit to this style boat 43DCMY. I still have the fan blade style blowers in the air handling unit and at it's best on a hot day it seems to be working to hard.

I am not concerned with the generator capacity at this point.

Also there is plenty of heat loss in the salon of the boat. No insulation above the headliner or anyplace else. Any input on that would be nice also.

We power the boat with 2- 30A 120V services; Ship power and AC- all original. There is capacity available on the Shore Power side that may be able to pick up another unit 10 amps or less.

The for and aft cabins stay plenty cold with the original AC components.

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Re: 71 43 DCMY AC Air handler replacement for mid cabin

I've replaced on in a 41 and used a 16k unit with the new squirrel cage fan.is yours a 16?

The newer units are more efficient and if ducts are updated may offer 10% better cooling than the old.

I have a 16k in my 41c salon and it's more than enough on a 90 degree plus day in cocoa beach. Usually run only that and a fan to the staterooms if no ones down below.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The new units are more efficient. You may also be able to get some benefit from insulated drapes inside the windows.

We have an '85 43 MY and I have found that using "Reflectix" insulation available at Lowes has a very positive affect on the ability for our A.C. to cool down the salon. I cut it to cover the 3 forward windows of the salon and put it under their stamoid cover. I have also cut out panels to fit the salon windows here and there.

We have a 16k BTU unit taking care of the salon in our boat and when the heat is roaring outside it will run quite a bit.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 08-24-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

I recently replaced mine as I didn't like the noise the propeller fans made and it wasn't doing the best job. I removed the compressor from the engine room and the evaporator from the salon and installed a combined unit on the floor of the forward stateroom closet. Built an enclosure around the unit which raised the closet floor. Return air grills were installed at floor level in the forward head. The discharge duct runs up the back of the closet to the space where the old evaporator was. Closed off the left side (original return) and ducted to a box added to the back of the original discharge grill. The separation of discharge to return helps immensely and everything is much quieter. I started out thinking about just replacing the evaporator but figured if I did, murphy says the compressor would die shortly thereafter. Doing it this way didn't cost much more and I could do all of the work myself. Used existing SMX II Controls. My only reservation is I'm sure the new unit won't be going strong after 37 years like the old one.....

If I was just going to replace the evaporator, I still would have relocated it to the forward stateroom closet to get the fan further from the salon discharge point and separate the return from the discharge. An added benefit for those of us in colder climates is it was difficult to get heat in the galley and forward head. With the return grill down there, this problem has gone away.
    Last edited by Timeout; 08-25-2015 at 07:58 AM.
    Kevin Shea 1978 43DC
    Sandusky, OH

Where are you?We are in Ft Myers and you can call me at 2516102611 and come on over and see how our 43 DCMY is set up.
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Thanks,

We are in Fort Lauderdale.

Joe at Ocean Breeze in Stuart, FL might have some suggestions. They make custom Cruisair compatable condensers for way less price than Cruisair. Maybe they make air handlers as well...