Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Re: Missing kids in Fla

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    So, we're going to make this a technical thread now?

If there was ever a thread on this forum that doesn't need anything more than hope and prayer, this is it.
    Initially this thread was full of thoughtful posts supporting the boys, their families, the searchers and others involved and affected by this tragedy.
    Seemed most were considerate of the fact that there is very little that could have prevented this.
    Didn’t take too long for some to start the politics, the blaming and lecturing.

Rules do not stop teenage boys. We know that from experience. To write that, because you are a strict parent it would stop your son doing similar is just rubbing salt into the wounds of those in pain.
    The government is irrelevant to boys on an adventure. EPIRBS need to be used to work, who knows what happened and even if they carried one, would they have activated it.
    Tragedy is just that, blind, senseless and all too common.

Freebird has the post that has the message worth repeating.

If there is any good to come out of this tragedy maybe a few parents will teach their kids that the world is not a theme park. People die out there. And sometimes all the technology in the world can't save them. The best tool to give them is common sense. Without it all the safety equiptment and technology is useless.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    If there is any good to come out of this tragedy maybe a few parents will teach their kids that the world is not a theme park. People die out there. And sometimes all the technology in the world can't save them. The best tool to give them is common sense. Without it all the safety equiptment and technology is useless.
    We are probably all guilty of pushing out luck. Over the years experience teaches us but I know I did a few crazy things over the years. Life is a precious thing but also very easy to mess up. All the laws in the world won't protect us from ourselves.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I heard someone on the news thinks the engine may have had problems because the engine cover was found off. I guess thats kinda unusal for them to come off like that without any help. They said its possible they were trying to fix the engine and fell in the water. One fell in and the other tried to jump in and save him getting seperated from the boat. My heart goes out to the parents of these kids. I cant imagine the pain they are going through. I will start another thread about Epirb's.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

SeaCraft are often called SinkCraft because of their low transom cutouts. It is entirely possible that they had an engine failure and the boat turned downsea and swamped. Especially with the weight of two people in the stern trying to diagnose an engine problem.

All speculation of course, and no help to the families involved in a horrible situation. My heart goes out to these people. I can't imagine how you get through something like that.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

There was a YouTube a while ago of a couple guys fighting a fish in one of these newer center consoles with the transom door and the built in swim platform. It wasn't rough but a wave came in the door and you could see 3-4" of water sloshing around the deck. Next thing you know the boat rolls turtle and the guys are in the water. Like 123. I could see that scenario.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

This was the boat
    Attached Images

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY