Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fuel Pressure Switch

It's maintenance time for my fuel system. I am changing my secondary fuel filter from the original "filter in a canister" to the Detroit Diesel spin-on type which is simply changing the bracket and reinstalling the fuel lines. In the process of removing the pressure switch, it was so old that the terminals and wires just fell off. So, I'm going to just replace it. I noted that the broken one is labeled "SM-2C-10F/BTAT21. Fair enough. I took a look at the switch on the other engine to determine whether I needed to order one or two. The other engine's pressure switch is "5F" instead of "10F". I think this part of the part number may designate the PSI rating, but I don't know. This switch was not mentioned or shown on any drawings in my DD manual.

So, my question is...which one is right since I appear to have two different switches? The 5F appears to be much newer (or a much better life) than 10F switch. Or does it really matter?

Thanks.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: Fuel Pressure Switch

You've probably already done this but: Google results show many more hits referencing the 5 psi part # switch in a Detroit Diesel application.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Try to find a parts number for Hobbs switches. The switch will be normally "open" then closes or completes the circuit at the rated pressure. Hobbs was bought out by Honeywell so the new switches may have new part numbers. That part number Crosses to a switch made by Nason. The lower ( 5 LB) pressure switch will work fine.
    Last edited by dsharp; 07-19-2015 at 10:46 PM.