Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Crusader 454 Crankshaft nut size

I'd like to confirm TDC on my Crusader 454's rotating the last little bit by hand. The issue I have is that the crankshaft bolt is recessed behind the pulley for the sea water pump and I can't get a standard socket small enough to to fit in the hole in the pulley yet large enough to go over the nut on the shaft so I'm at the point of guessing. Does anyone know the nut size (greater than 5/8, while the hole in the pulley is about 7/8) or if there's a better way to approach this?

Thank you.

Re: Crusader 454 Crankshaft nut size

Turn the pulley.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The pulley has four bolts in a square pattern around the hole in the middle. I'm not sure how to work with that to make it turn without fabricating something. Maybe I could turn it with the pulley on the end of the camshaft but the bolt is significantly smaller so it would seem the crankshaft is a better plan. The crusader catalog says the bolt is 1/2 which would call for a 3/4 nut but with less than an inch hole, I can't picture a socket that has that thin a wall. Hoping someone has a work around.

Thank you for your response.

You may have to take a bench grinder to a socket if you don"t want to remove the pulley. I have some 1/2" drive deep sockets that have a pretty thin wall. Can you get to the flywheel with a large screw driver?

It has been a while but I thought the 454 takes a 11/16 socket. If not pop the pulley off in about 10 minutes.