Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Icom 604 VHF - Not a Happy Customer

Well, I picked up an Icom 604 - the current version of the radio - at Defenders on Thursday and installed it Saturday. Nice radio, not cheap with a retail price of $650 and a selling price at Defenders of $550. I had to enlarge the hole in my electronics cabinet, but I managed to get it in place without much drama. Hooked up the antenna and power and tested it successfully.

Then I went to hook up the NMEA0183 leads to get lat and lon for the Distress function. WTF? There is not a factory wired plug pigtail in the box. Instead, there are two plugs that need to have wire soldered onto them and then be assembled manually...by me. Are you kidding? $650 for a vhf and they don't even give you a proper wiring harness? If I hadn't already cut the cabinet face, I would have taken it back. Instead, I am now honing my soldering skills and taking a second day to complete the installation.

I am not pleased with Icom.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Icom 604 VHF - Not a Happy Customer

Interesting you find that a problem. We have been asking for bare connectors that plug in for a long time. Now they have it to install them properly . It allows you to attach to whatever length of wire you need and cleans up the install.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Luckily Icom includes Nmea 0183 adapters as part of the package and doesn't sell them as an option. Just installed 2 Icom M506's on my CC and loved the NMEA 2k ports for easy hookup to the N2K backbone, cleanest install ever and didn't have to program anything except the MMSI #, tossed the NMEA 0183 parts it came with right into the can. Removed 2 M504s because I didn't want any Nmea 0183 on the boat after installing all new electronics this spring.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Not that I've installed a lot of electronics, but I don't ever remember having an application like that where I didn't have to solder the plug connections.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Well, I don't replace radios often, luckily. The Ray215 that this is replacing had a nice pigtail connection with nmea in and out, + and - for each, along with remote speaker wires - all out of the same harness. I simply crimped on ring connectors and hooked them up to a 6 circuit block, which I wired to the other devices. Simple and fast. The connections were as clean and tight as when I hooked them up back in 2003.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau