Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AC kicking off on hi ps with good water flow

Have a cruisair unit that will cool fine for 5-6 hours then will cut off flashing hi ps. Will reset unit and it will run fine for maybe hours or 20 minutes and shut off again. AC repair guy replaced triac and hi pressure switch. Still same issue. Water flow is fine other 2 units operating fine off same water pump. What is the next step? Thanks for your time.

Re: AC kicking off on hi ps with good water flow

If the unit failing is highest in the boat, I would check the water pump and make sure it is performing to rated spec. We had something similar and the raw water pump needed a rebuild. There was too much resistance in the motor, and flow was reduced. Only the salon unit ever cut off.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

The unit is one of the lowest in the boat, but you make a good point that I had not thought of. Also new pump just installed.

Turn off all other units and run just the one that is failing. Check water flow. If it's not pumping water you have a bad or disconnected start capacitor. If it still behaves the same, you may need to clean the unit. If the ACs share a common discharge, you won't know if the failing unit is actually getting a good supply of cooling water unless you can block off the other units.
    Jack Sardina

5. Re: AC kicking off on hi ps with good water flow

Also, make sure the blower is running on high. That solved my problem.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    Have a cruisair unit that will cool fine for 5-6 hours then will cut off flashing hi ps. Will reset unit and it will run fine for maybe hours or 20 minutes and shut off again. AC repair guy replaced triac and hi pressure switch. Still same issue. Water flow is fine other 2 units operating fine off same water pump. What is the next step? Thanks for your time.
    It is hot as hello here in Hatteras NC. My salon ac was doing the exact same as yours. WATER FLOW WAS THE PROBLEM. New as units installed last year. The AC guy was stumped. Ran cleaner through the AC coils all ok now. SEEMS COIL WAS COATED WITH LIGHT COAT OF MUD SAND COMBO. Not much water in slip at hard north wind strainer was proof.

I experienced something very similar that ended up being a failing H/S switch. Cost was $75 and easy to change.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Quote Originally Posted by Finalee View Post
    I experienced something very similar that ended up being a failing H/S switch. Cost was $75 and easy to change.
    Hi Fred explain H/S switch i am AC stupid along with other topics. Shut up Freebird!!!

Tim

Well I was born in Havelock and it stands for high pressure switch. Probably only made sense to me. I see he already did that . It is likely a real high pressure shutdown. My next move would be to get some gauges on it and see how close to the limit that unit is.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I would start with descaling if it hasn't been done in a while and check pressures before starting throwing parts at the problem.

I would also make sure there is nothing blocking flow at the sea cock, strainer, and discharge lines. Shells can I grow and get dislodge resulting in aggravating random restrictions.

Since they all share a single pump, When that unit shuts down, assuming the other are still running, do you still have flow out of the discharge of that unit?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat