Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Key West to Havana?

I'm contemplating another visit to Cuba in late spring or early summer, having made the voyage a couple of years before. Just curious if any you guys or your buddies have made the voyage lately.

She's berthed in Pensacola and we're planning to take our time getting down to the Keys with layovers in St. Pete and another in the Ft. Myers area before making the final run on down to Key West.

We had a splended time last trip. I'd welcome any thoughts or insights.

Re: Key West to Havana?

We are essentially not allowed to go there, as far as I know. Americans are strictly prohibited from any trade with Cuba, so we can't spend any money there etc etc. This makes visiting difficult. If this policy has changed I am not aware of it and my understanding is that it is enforced with vigor by the US government. Does anyone know different?
    There have been a number of episodes in which American physicians wished to visit Cuba to conduct meetings and discussions with Cuban colleagues; because of the trade sanctions etc this could not be accomplished. There have also been cases, from what I have read, where medical professionals visiting Cuba were then subject to a great deal of inquiry from US authorities about the visit, how expenses were handled, etc. While the aims of these trips were blameless, the inquiry must have been very unpleasant to say the least, not to mention expensive. Of course if you don't live in the USA you can visit all you want, and you are lucky. It is supposed to be a very enjoyable destination and our currencies go a long ways. I will probably not live long enough to see this policy changed, but I wish I could.

3. Re: Key West to Havana?

Yeah, my understanding is that ANY expenditure of American Money - no matter how you do it or "launder" it - is a very serious criminal offense punishable by all sorts of bad things, including prison time and huge fines.

I don't know if there's a legal way around this or not.

Until a few years ago it was not only possible but fairly common for Americans to visit Cuba by boat and not get into trouble. While the official policy has basically stayed the same, the restriction is now vigorously enforced. Don't even think of it for now. I would check with proper officials to get the straight scoop.

Jim I sincerely hope to have you and your excellent input in this forum for many years to come. I think that things will change regarding our policy with Cuba when Castro is gone and we will be able to go there.

the policies are more or less unchanged but now they are enforced. US citizens are not allowed to spend money in cuba. simple.

moreover, the CG is also said to be enforcing a rule where boats BELIEVED to be heading to cuba can be boarded and possibly detained/seized.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Go through the Bahamas and approach from the SSE...

CMP

Not worth it to me. If they took my boat away 1) I would never get it back and 2) I would never be able to replace it. Better to wait it out until the inevitable change of regime when El Presidente "retires".....I'm not one to wish anyone passing on (okay I'll make a few exceptions) but he can't hang around forever, hopefully things will ease up.

Had to run out of town immediately after my initial post regarding an Havana cruise. Thanks to all for the replies.

Yes, restrictions are now much more, well, restrictive. On my last trip 2 years ago I had previously asked for and easily gotten an humanitarian waiver from the State Dept. I simply offered to deliver some over the counter medications to a church based charity in Havana. On my return leg, having called both US Immigration and Customs in Key West as I reached the 12 miles out point (per my original pre-cruise arrangements with them), I was told that all agents were too busy to meet me at my marina dock. After 2 or 3 more cell phone exhanges, the major domo called back asking me IF I could meet him at their office the next morning first thing (a Saturday) otherwise he'd miss one of his kid's Little League games later that afternoon. Of course I agreed, not wanting to inconvenience anyone. I showed up at 9am sharp per agreement. The doors were locked.

Later the next week from home in La., I filed by mail...